none
Mail Journal Rules

Question

• Hi Team

I have made a Journal Rule to move all the mails coming to inbox to a local PST. When i checked Outlook Inbox it's showing empty , but when checking OWA some mails are still showing in inbox. This mailbox will be receiving copy of all the mails that is send and received in organisation. Huge number of mails are still showing in OWA. Please help to resolve the issue. 

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Kp,

Run Outlook in Online Mode, it should solve your problem. Hopefully you have good network connectivity in-between.

It has to be the sync delay between offline copy and server copy causing this lag.

Why you don't use Export cmdlet I shared earlier, it would be much faster. Where are you keeping\moving all these PSTs. This is definitely not a good practice that you are following.

EDBs are more stable than, PSTs. You could have a dedicated database only for this mailbox.

Make your management read these.

Deep Sixing PST Files

.PST, Time to Walk the Plank

Network Stored PST files ... don't do it!

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Sunday, November 1, 2015 12:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Monday, November 9, 2015 2:01 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Kp,

Please let us know, how have you setup the journal rule to move emails to PST!, is it a journal rule in EAC or a simple Outlook Rule.

If Outlook rule then sync between the Outlook copy and Exchange mailbox will take sometime, and its normal to see moved emails still in OWA.

Eventually they will moveout. I don't see any point moving email out to PST. You should have a larger disk to keep all the Journal mailbox data until retention period so that you can benefit from eDiscovery.

If you still want to extract the emails, use something else like New-MailboxExportRequest and Search-Mailbox -DeleteContent to clean it.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

Journal Rule in exchange won't move mails to local PST, it just record e-mail communications. So how do you configure the Journal Rule? On Mailbox Database or some Mailboxes?

And how do you move mails to local PST? Retention Policy or Export command?

Please tell us more about your configuration.

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, October 30, 2015 6:39 AM
  • HI 

We are running rule in outlook , All the incoming & Outgoing mail will be should move to particular XYZ mail ID and all that mails will be moved to local PST. every day mails will be moved to different PST.  

Per day around 1 lakh mails will be coming to this XYZ mail ID. 

For EX 2010 mail ID when we ran this rule all the mails are move to local pst & it also moved from OWA.

But When we try to Do the same for EX 2013 mail ID all the mails are not moving. from OWA.

please suggest.

• Edited by Nisanth kp Saturday, October 31, 2015 7:50 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 7:06 AM
  • Hi Kp,

Run Outlook in Online Mode, it should solve your problem. Hopefully you have good network connectivity in-between.

It has to be the sync delay between offline copy and server copy causing this lag.

Why you don't use Export cmdlet I shared earlier, it would be much faster. Where are you keeping\moving all these PSTs. This is definitely not a good practice that you are following.

EDBs are more stable than, PSTs. You could have a dedicated database only for this mailbox.

Make your management read these.

Deep Sixing PST Files

.PST, Time to Walk the Plank

Network Stored PST files ... don't do it!

Regards,

Satyajit

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Sunday, November 1, 2015 12:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Monday, November 9, 2015 2:01 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 8:39 AM
  • Hello Kp

Let us know if few emails in exchange 2013 not moving or all emails not moving. If some of the items not archiving it may be sync issue in outlook and OWA. Check sync logs in outlook. Also as Satyajit suggested, please try to run outlook in Online mode.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

Sunday, November 1, 2015 12:27 PM