We just noticed this morning that MS released a newer Management pack for
    KMS that supports the new OS's.  We have installed it and now all of the
    reports have disappeared.   Looking at the new download page under Release
    History we see the following:

Sep. 16, 2009 - Update release, version 6.0.7234.0, extended support for
    newer OS and decommissioned reports.

Does this mean that the management pack no longer runs reports and only
    monitors the health of the service?  If so this is a major downgrade in
    functionality.  Or am I just missing something?  It would be nice to be able
    to run those reports again.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'd like to suggest you delete this MP from SCE console - Administration space.

Close SCE console, restart Opsmgr health service, then re-import this MP to SCE and check whether you can see the reports.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 8:51 AM
  • We will try that and let you know. 

Keep in mind that we do have access to the reports that relate specifically to the health of the KMS service.  It is all of the other reports that are missing (i.e., the OS specific activation counts, etc.).
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:42 PM
  • It didn't seem to make a difference.  The other reports are still missing.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please try the following steps to reset reporting in SCE:
    1. Open up the Reports site (probably <http://localhost/Reports$SCE>) .
    2. Click New Data Source
    3. Enter the following:
    a. Name: WSUS Database
    b. Check both Hide in list view and Enable this data source
    c. Connection Type: Microsoft SQL Server
    d. Connection string: data source=[servername]\[instancename];initial
    catalog=SUSDB;Integrated Security=SSPI
    ([servername]\[instancename] is the database server the WSUS database is on. If
    this was originally an upgrade of WSUS, then the name may also be different from
    SUSDB)
    e. Choose Credentials are not required
    f. Click OK or Apply
    4. Click New Data Source
    5. Enter the following:
    a. Name: Data Warehouse Main
    b. Check both Hide in list view and Enable this data source
    c. Connection Type: Microsoft SQL Server
    d. Connection string: data source=[servername]\[instancename];;initial
    catalog=OperationsManagerDW;Integrated Security=SSPI
    (servername]\[instancename] is the database server SCE was installed on.)
    e. Choose Credentials are not required
    f. Click OK or Apply
    6. Wait about 10-20 minutes for Reports to deploy
    7. Make sure reports run in SCE Console
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 9:17 AM
  • Are you saying that the reports should be there?  Have we at least confirmed that?  And if they should be there what did you all mean by the "decommissioned reports" comment in the release history?  Because everyting else seems to be working fine which makes me think it is not a problem with the database connection.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

If the previous version of the management pack utilized reports, follow these steps:
    1. Open SQL Query Analyzer and select the OperationsManagerDW
    2. From SQL Query analyzer, open the Uninstall.sql.txt (rename to uninstall.sql if desired) file attached with this management pack
    3. Execute (F5)
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 9:41 AM
  • Please don't take this wrong but the sentence "If the previous version of the management pack utilized reports" makes me think that you are not all that familiar with this specific management pack.

My questions are related specifically to features within the new KMS management pack and whether or not some of the reports have been removed permanently (as the release notes imply).  If they have been removed, then there is not a problem with our installation so all of these troubleshooting steps would be useless. 

Could we answer the main question first? And then if the answer to that question determines that indeed we are not seeing reports that should be there, then we can continue with the troubleshooting steps necessary to remedy the known issue.

I appreciate your help but let's focus on the following two questions first before we continue with any more troubleshooting: What reports should be available in the new KMS Management Pack?  And secondly, if the "Activation Counts", and similar, reports have indeed been removed, then why and is there a chance to get them added back in?

Thank you.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 6:51 PM
  • the "Activation Counts", and similar, reports have indeed been removed, then why and is there a chance to get them added back in?

Thank you.

This is my question too.  The previous version of the management pack included information that was actually useful for our organization.  It allowed us to view adoption (in relative terms anyway)
    Is there any way to replicate those reports that were in the older management pack?  or does it not collect that specific KMS information any more?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:00 PM
  • Apparently none of the technet engineers know either.  I am not sure if this subscription is worth it.  The managed newsgroups are one of the main reasons I was interested in it.  But so far I am not too impressed.  All of the technet reps at TechEd told me that they were great and you were guaranteed an answer within one or two working days.

I have been asking this question since the beginning of October without an answer.

To Mr. Zhang's credit here, he at least tried but jumped straight into troubleshooting without addressing the root question.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:46 PM
  • We are seriously considering going back to the older version or the MP just to have the reports. Though it doesn't properly report the version for Windows 7 and server 2008, at least if would have the information that my Bosses are looking for.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:52 PM