How can I configure SCCM to push the client to refreshed computers automatically? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I get SCCM to immediately push a client to a computer that has been refreshed (same name)? From what I have read I have to wait until the delete aged discovery task removes the old system and the client push will detect a new system  and push. Is there no way for SCCM to recognize a system has been refreshed?
    Friday, August 8, 2014 3:36 PM

Answers

• If you use ConfigMgr OSD to do the operating system updates, then that is taken care of automatically as part of its task sequence (always installs the Configuration Manager client :-)

Otherwise, you could delete the old system from the site, run an AD System Discovery, and have it automatically deploy again. Or use the Software Update-based client installation. Lots of ways.

Wally Mead

• Marked as answer by Beanska Friday, August 8, 2014 7:39 PM
    Friday, August 8, 2014 3:39 PM
  • The best method is to simply make it part of your OS deployment process which if done using OSD (as pointed out by Wally) is automatic -- and of course if you're not using OSD, you're probably wasting a lot of time, energy, effort, and money on something else (that's a side point though).

I don't care for client deployment via WSUS much though, not that it doesn't work but I prefer using a startup script instead.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, August 8, 2014 4:27 PM

All replies

• If you use ConfigMgr OSD to do the operating system updates, then that is taken care of automatically as part of its task sequence (always installs the Configuration Manager client :-)

Otherwise, you could delete the old system from the site, run an AD System Discovery, and have it automatically deploy again. Or use the Software Update-based client installation. Lots of ways.

Wally Mead

Friday, August 8, 2014 3:39 PM
  • Software Update-based client installation is a method I have not looked at.

Thanks for the quick reply (3 minutes). Cireson has you keeping a close eye on these forums I see.

Friday, August 8, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Just have a little more time now than I had at Microsoft, so am able to devote some time now to helping out in the forums. Glad to help when I can, but many, many other brilliant people out there that help also (that's why I never felt pressure to help in the forums while in the product group - had all these smart people out there taking care of you all). They still do, now I can just contribute a little also.

Wally Mead

Friday, August 8, 2014 3:52 PM
  • The best method is to simply make it part of your OS deployment process which if done using OSD (as pointed out by Wally) is automatic -- and of course if you're not using OSD, you're probably wasting a lot of time, energy, effort, and money on something else (that's a side point though).

I don't care for client deployment via WSUS much though, not that it doesn't work but I prefer using a startup script instead.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Friday, August 8, 2014 4:27 PM
  • Yes, I (and likely most of us) know you and your startup script preference :-)

Wally Mead

Friday, August 8, 2014 4:37 PM