none
Migrate Project Server Custom Project Site from 2010 to 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Please,

i've to upgrade from Project Server 2010 to Project Server 2013,

i've published lot of project with custom site template with custom list, Project History SAL, Change Request List and others.., also custom Issue List using content type customization.

i've read here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263203.aspx about this "Custom Site Template..Furthermore, if you used a template to make various 2010 sites, they could all require manual adjustments to ensure that they work and render properly in SharePoint 2013."

Can you explain me step-to-step how to migrate all my Project Sites?

Is not so clear around internet how to do...

Thanks a lot

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Any existing sites that have been created based on your WSP's will migrate as part of the update process.  From memory, the WSP's used as templates will not migrate automatically and you may need to recreate these from one of the migrated sites using a 'Save Site as Template'. Of course you should verify that your migration was successful prior.

As with any migration, the key is to test, test and test again. Take backups, test the migration process on another environment, review any issues encountered and either fix them at the source, or at the target environment.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If your project sites are in the same site collection as your PWA site, the migration process should take care of the upgrade for you. The process of migrating is pretty well documented, check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502590.aspx or http://epmsource.com/2013/05/02/migrating-ps-2010-to-ps-2013-walkthrough/

As for your customised sites, you should be fine. The main changes you will see is in the 2013 look and feel which can throw some customisations out of sync. Your best bet would be to do a test migration and verify your site templates appear as you expect.

hope this helps.

Alex Burton
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Friday, September 27, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Thanks Alex,

your process guide is good.

But i'd to be sure: my sites are based on one or more Project Site template uploaded as .wsp solutions.

Are you sure that those migrate just with the Content DB of sharpoint???

I made a test and the .wsp migrated look freezed. Is not about file system files those solutions???

What about the task list that is different in 2013 (integration with project etc.)???

The project sites, with custom .wsp project site template solutions and custom list are all in the site collection of PWA.

Do you confirm me that i've only to attach and upgrade the content DB (i've no look and feel customization)?

Thanks a lot

Ps. for the next test i'll follow your guide... thanks

Daniele

Friday, September 27, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

Any existing sites that have been created based on your WSP's will migrate as part of the update process.  From memory, the WSP's used as templates will not migrate automatically and you may need to recreate these from one of the migrated sites using a 'Save Site as Template'. Of course you should verify that your migration was successful prior.

As with any migration, the key is to test, test and test again. Take backups, test the migration process on another environment, review any issues encountered and either fix them at the source, or at the target environment.

Alex Burton

Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Thanks Alex,

now it's clear also about the WSP to be recreated.

I go on with some test.

Regards

Daniele

Monday, September 30, 2013 7:01 AM
  • No. I doesn't work.

If you are using web parts like SSRS viewer, the WSP shows activated at the Solutions gallery but when you try to associate it with an EPT, it just doesn't appear.

The only solution available is to manually migrate your sites' templates manually. Shameful.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:55 PM