none
Exchange Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently developing a migration plan for a Cross-Forest Exchange migration.

Forest A is our existing domain and Forest B is our new forest we are migrating into. 

The plan is to have a period of coexistence between both forests. 

Our core business web application will be the first application to be migrated as we need the resources in the new environment for it. 

I used the Exchange script that creates the user object from Forest A into Forest B and then used ADMT to migrate the associated attibutes, Password and SID History. This means that my users appear in both Forest A and B and as far as the user is concerned, they use the same account to log onto our business app.

My query is what is the best way to do the cross forest coexistence? I have read many articles online about using GalSync to create a centralised GAL  using contacts. Can I still do this bearing in mind that both Forests will have Mail User accounts and not Contacts??

Im a bit confused as to how I should do it.

The goal here is to allow cross-forest calendar delegation and also display free/busy information.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:30 AM

All replies

• Check this out http://community.priasoft.com/?tag=/Resource-Forest

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:27 PM
  • To move an Exchange mailbox from a source forest to the target Exchange 2016 or Exchange 2019 target forest, the target forest needs to contain a valid mail user (also known as a mail-enabled user) with a specified set of Active Directory attributes.

In Exchange 2016, you can move an Exchange 2010, Exchange 2013, or Exchange 2016 mailbox from a source Exchange forest to a target Exchange 2016 forest. If there's at least one Exchange 2016 Mailbox server in the target forest, the forest is considered an Exchange 2016 forest.

In Exchange 2019, you can move an Exchange 2013, Exchange 2016, or Exchange 2019 mailbox from a source Exchange forest to a target Exchange 2019 forest. If there's at least one Exchange 2019 Mailbox server in the target forest, the forest is considered an Exchange 2019 forest.

To prepare for the mailbox move, you need to create mail users (also known as mail-enabled users) with the required Active Directory attributes in the target forest. There are two recommended approaches for creating mail users with the necessary attributes:

If you deployed Identity Lifecycle Manager (ILM) for cross-forest global address list (GAL) synchronization, we recommend that you use Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 Service Pack 1. We've created sample code that you can use to learn how to customize ILM to synchronize the source mailbox user and target mail user.

For more information, including how to download the sample code, see Prepare mailboxes for cross-forest moves using sample code.

If you created the target mail user using an Active Directory tool other than ILM or Microsoft Identity Integration Server (MIIS), use the Update-Recipient cmdlet with the Identity parameter to generate the LegacyExchangeDN attribute for the target mail user. We've created a sample PowerShell script that reads from and writes to Active Directory and calls the Update-Recipient cmdlet.

For more information about using the sample script, see Prepare mailboxes for cross-forest moves using the Exchange Management Shell.

After creating the target mail user, you can then run the New-MoveRequest or the New-MigrationBatch cmdlets to move the mailbox to the target Exchange 2016 or Exchange 2019 forest.
    Friday, April 17, 2020 10:13 AM