none
Where to install DPM 2010 RRS feed

• General discussion

• We are about to impliment DPM 2010 in our environment. we are previous uysers of symantec backup exec. We have 4 servers. the first handles exchange edge transport, the second is the primary DC, the third handles the other exchange roles and is a backup DC and the 4th is a database server running SQL server and other database engines. Backup exec used to run on the 3rd server (the DC) and worked just fine. As I understand it, DPM can not run on a DC or with exchange. would there be any issues with running this on my SQL machine or would it be best run on a dedicated machine only running DPM? It seems like a waste of a whole server to only handle backups.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:32 PM

All replies

• We always recommend a dedicated server for DPM, but you can get away with installing it on an existing server but with restrictions.

If you install DPM 2010 on a DC, you can only protect "local" data sources, meaning local disks, so that will not work for you.  We also don't support DPM being installed on an exchange server. That leaves the SQL Server assuming it's Windows 2008 X64 and meets the following hardware requirements:

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Are there any issues with running this on a box that is running other SQL databases or should I really be looking to have a dedicated box? Also, I read in another post on this forum that I cannot use external eSATA drives as my disk backup destination. I have a Buffale DriveStation that I plan to use as my disk backup location, is this supported?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:43 PM
  •  

We support using remote SQL server that is hosting other SQL DB's so  we should not have any problems installing DPM on an existing SQL server.  However, be aware that DPM uses SQL heavily, so it may effect performance of other SQL apps and visa versa. 

Windows does not support Dynamic disks on removabale media, and DPM relies on dynamic disks, so as long as the disks you are using present themselves as removable disks, then you cannot use them in the DPM Storage pool.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Is there a good way of determining if the hardware can support both the DPM and other database applications at the same time comfortably? The Server is a new Dell R610 with (1) Intel® Xeon® E5620 2.4Ghz, 12M Cache,Turbo, HT processor, 12 GB of RAM and 6Gbps SAS drives. This is new hardware and I would suspect it can handle the load of DPM, Peachtree's Pervasive Database, (3) SQL Express Databases, one legacy file share database (Visual dataflex) and another SQL data entry program. My only concern with trying this is that this machine is running my most important mission critical databases for our company and I want to make sure that they don't take a noticable performace hit as a result of the existance of the DPM. I have a small number of users, approximately 40 clients that could be accessing any or all of these databases at a given time.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 6:48 PM