Why do you need admin rights when you are an admin RRS feed

• General discussion

• I know RTM is almost here so there is probably not much that can be done now but why if you are logged on an admin account dont the programs automatically start in the admin mode.

it is quite annoying to have right click on something and select the run as admin when you want to do something. shouldnt being logged on as an admin give you rights to do what ever the heck you want? it is very weird inconsistency, especially since all you need to get past the run as admin thing is a password if your on a standard account. To me its an inconvenience especially when i need to run all my AV software and system performance stuff like Autoruns.exe. i have to hunt for it in the tiny box also known as the start menu and then right click the icon. Why wont it just automatically run with admin rights when im on an admin account? then i could just hit the icon on the system tray.

seriously this feature of Win7 (and Vista for that matter) has never made sense to me.

hope this helps, nitrous_74
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:59 AM

All replies

• I know RTM is almost here so there is probably not much that can be done now but why if you are logged on an admin account dont the programs automatically start in the admin mode.

it is quite annoying to have right click on something and select the run as admin when you want to do something. shouldnt being logged on as an admin give you rights to do what ever the heck you want? it is very weird inconsistency, especially since all you need to get past the run as admin thing is a password if your on a standard account. To me its an inconvenience especially when i need to run all my AV software and system performance stuff like Autoruns.exe. i have to hunt for it in the tiny box also known as the start menu and then right click the icon. Why wont it just automatically run with admin rights when im on an admin account? then i could just hit the icon on the system tray.

seriously this feature of Win7 (and Vista for that matter) has never made sense to me.

The features are part of the safety features of Windows 7 (even Vista). If you wish to enable the hidden Administrator account you can by typing LUSRMGR.MSC in the Start Menu and press enter. From here click 'Users' and double-click 'Administrator' and de-select 'Account is disabled'. Reboot your machine and you can now log on as the hidden administrator, you will now not be prompted for admin rights and will not need to use the 'Run as admin' context menu item.

Hope this helps :)

Jeff
    If anyone is helpful, please click the 'Vote as helpful' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:24 AM

• Is that the same as executing  net user administrator /active:yes   at the Command Prompt?

I thought I tried that trick like 2 years ago, and it didn't circumvent the UAC nags anyway.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Did you try it?  Regardless, the entire www knows these MS documented ways to enable the deprecated XP default Administrator account.  So exactly what is the safety feature in crippling the standard Administrator account?  Log on as standard Administrator, but then not have Administrator privileges?  Sorry, I don't understand how you can recite that unreasoned nonsense as an explanation.

I've not tried the command prompt trick so cannot comment.

As far as reciting unreasoned nonsense goes, this is a discussion thread....say no more, it's offered as a workaround.

The safety feature in not having full admin privlidges as an administrator is that even the most competant user can make a mistake when running certain software. Is because of this that I believe UAC works independantly of the Admin account, if that's not adding safetly features into the bones of an OS then i've obviously been in the wrong profession for 14 years.
    If anyone is helpful, please click the 'Vote as helpful' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    • Edited by Ronnie VernonMVP Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:52 AM Removed off topic quote
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I've used the hidden Administrator account with no issues, and no UAC prompts appeared. Just running REGEDIT is a prime example if you need to test it. What exactly are you trying to imply by 'empty buzzword'? Are you saying that the whole process doesn't work, and that all information pertaining to it is useless (empty)? Unless you actually try it out, you can't really back up your claim that it's cr@p so please do some research before trying to shoot people down that are giving options that they have personally tried without issue....
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:28 PM
  • You can also use the Windows XP method, by entering control userpasswords2 in the run box, Advanced tab,  Advanced button.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:13 AM
  • The features are part of the safety features of Windows 7 (even Vista). If you wish to enable the hidden Administrator account you can by typing LUSRMGR.MSC in the Start Menu and press enter. From here click 'Users' and double-click 'Administrator' and de-select 'Account is disabled'. Reboot your machine and you can now log on as the hidden administrator, you will now not be prompted for admin rights and will not need to use the 'Run as admin' context menu item.

Hope this helps :)

Jeff
    yes that does help in a way but it still does not make sense to me: your logged onto an admin account, why do you need admin verification it defeats the purpose of account types. yes i know that standard users can also be limited in what changes they make to the system, but still why do admin accounts need to verify?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Am I missing something here? Just disable UAC if you don't like it. As far as why it's there, I imagine a huge number of non-technical users have trashed their systems by doing things they shouldn't. Microsoft probably figured a few guard rails were in order. -Noel
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:18 AM

Hi,

Microsoft has released a official FAQ on the question.

Why does User Account Control run by default?

Hope it helps.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Am I missing something here? Just disable UAC if you don't like it. As far as why it's there, I imagine a huge number of non-technical users have trashed their systems by doing things they shouldn't. Microsoft probably figured a few guard rails were in order. -Noel
    yeh, another thing. whats the point of having that stuff if nobody knows how find and much less use it except an IT professional?
    Friday, October 9, 2009 4:13 PM

• You can also use the Windows XP method, by entering control userpasswords2 in the run box, Advanced tab,  Advanced button.

http://wiki.ljackson.us/Control_Userpasswords2   (notice Administrator account)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/make-windows-vista-log-on-automatically/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-user-accounts-utility-userpasswords2-to-control-panel/

Here's a little insight from official channels:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305

Thanks Ztruker.  I'm itching to tinker with it, but will wait until I have time to image-backup my systems.  I'll revisit  net user administrator /active:yes  then too.  I'm curious to see how they're connected.  And yes, not to diminish your contribution, Orbital.  I'll check out the LUSRMGR.MSC plugin too.  However, I have to reinstall Win7 Ultimate for that, because gpedit/Group Policy is not provided with Vista Home Premium.

On the topic of  control.exe,  it seems this program to open Control Panel items has been around since Win95.  But when I search thru MSDN, there are lots references and a few broken links that were key to describing it.  You'll find dead links on the www to that documentation too.  Anybody know where to find control.exe docs?

Awww c'mon Carey.  You're not even trying.  Here's another one you didn't delete.

You taking a coffee break or something?

Monday, November 23, 2009 7:21 AM