none
SBS 2011 and Windows 10 Search

Question

• Hi Folks,

I noticed a weird behavior with windows 10 client. when client on win10 machines try to remotely search the network mapped drives (shares on sbs 2011), they weren't able to search unless the search service on sbs 2011 was restarted. As soon as I restart the service, the search would populate.

This has happened twice in 1 week and restarting the windows search service on server fixed  the issue.

I don't see any issues on the server (no errors/warning in event logs and search index is complete and healthy on server), i thought that windows 10 client use their own local search index rather than server search index.

any thoughts why would win10 behave like this and is there any integration with domain joined win10 and sbs 2011 search

Regards, Navdeep

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Windows 10 is unable to search on a network mapped drive until re-start the search service on SBS 2011.

I want to confirm with you that if this problem also happens on other client which has the same OS version and different OS version? Besides, once this problem happens, could you search on the server/mapped drive locally?

As you mentioned, if this problem can be resolved by re-starting Windows Search Service on SBS, I am wondering if there is crashing/interfering with Windows Search. If possible, please try to disable 3rd party scanning/anti-virus software, and check the result. 

Besides, is this SBS 2011 Standard, or, Essentials? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 9:27 AM
  • Hi Eve,

We have all windows 10 machine in the environment. The issue was reported by the same user but other clients are affected as well.

On search we could search, but i didn't check when the issue was happened. Where shall we disable the the AV on server or on client.

It's SBS 2011 Std server.

Is SBS 2011 server and doman joined win 10 clients search some how integrated?

Regards, Navdeep

Thursday, April 06, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

>Where shall we disable the the AV on server or on client.
    Re-start the system in Clean Boot, in general, this operation will disable 3rd party process at system startup. 

Besides, you may try to rebuild index on the server:
    Control Panel – Indexing Options – Advanced Settings – Delete and rebuild index

>Is SBS 2011 server and doman joined win 10 clients search some how integrated?
    Blog “Find Items Faster with Windows Search and Libraries” can be considered as reference for detail explanation:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sbs/2010/04/05/find-items-faster-with-windows-search-and-libraries/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, April 21, 2017 3:02 AM
  • This seems to be a universal problem with SBS 2011.  I've had it with Windows 7 users myself, and restarting the Search service works...then a few weeks later I have to do it again.  I used the Control Panel applet to reduce what is Indexed, and that seemed to increase the time period between issues, but still is a problem from time to time.  I will likely just set up a scheduled task to stop and restart the Search Indexer service from time to time.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:37 PM