none
Videos on pages follow scrolling - why and how - can it be stopped RRS feed

• Question

• Sometime recently my Edge browser began an odd thing: When there was a video at the top of a page (such as a news story) the video window follows the page as I scroll down. This is extremely annoying on my laptop, but especially so on my tablet because it takes most of the window away from reading the story.

This began after one of the updates (in the last 6-8 weeks).  At first I thought it may be Edge, but the same issue happens (albeit differently) in Firefox. So I am assuming it is a Win 10 "feature."

I have had my issues with Edge - most notably it simply freezing up every 3-5 minutes, but this is a significant issue that makes the browser nearly useless.  I switched to Firefox for this (and other) reasons, but it is happening with it too now.

What the !~@#$%^& is this? Why does Microsoft think forcibly blocking out 90% of the screen with a video window is a good idea?  And, how (or can) I stop it?

Saturday, October 22, 2016 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I noticed that this issue began after one of the updates.

Have you uninstall the update and check the result? Maybe the compatibility issue, please check it.

In addition, you could also try to reset Edge and check if it helps.

How to Reset Microsoft Edge in Windows 10:

http://www.howtogeek.com/237527/how-to-reset-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Thanks for responding, Tony.

A couple of problems with the compatibility issue theory:

1) It is happening on all my Win10 systems (1=Home, 2-Pro).

2) Can we now expect compatibility issues with Msft Windows and Msft browsers?  I can see if the problem was limited to Firefox, but it happens in every browser I use, on any machine.

3) All (pretty much all) settings are default for Edge (and Firefox).

4) I cannot say precisely when it started, it's one of those things that just started happening and I do not know which update (if it was an update) it stared with.

I do not see any other posts on the issue so I can only assume it is my unique settings OR a "feature" that everyone just accepts as the new-normal.

Any other suggestions for tracking this down will be greatly appreciated - the issue is not just exceedingly annoying, but makes small-screen devices nearly useless - time to go to Android?

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Here is what I am talking about:

Pic #1: Page as it is loaded when initially opened - the story contains a video.

Pic# 2: Scroll down the page to read the article, and the video reappears in a window (lower left of screen). The video will remain in place regardless of how far I scroll.  Clicking on the "X" returns the screen to the top of the page (without the video popup), but scrolling back the video window reappears - constant loop.

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 7, 2016 8:57 AM