none
Migrating Ex2k7 Edge server to new hardware with same name.. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to follow the steps in this article to migrate an Edge server to new hardware while keeping the same server name.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332339(v=exchg.80).aspx

The thing i'm confused about is that it has you join the new server to the domain.  Edge servers aren't supposed to be joined to the domain last I checked.  It doesn't say to remove it from the domain at any point.

Am I missing something?

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

If you look articles for the other server roles, the Edge one looks like a bad copy/paste job from one of those.

You can safely ignore the parts the reference resetting the account or joining the domain.

BTW the correct process for recovering a non-Edge server would be to reset the computer account, if you removed it from the domain all of it's configuration would be lost.

Cheers, Steve

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Is there a "good" article for moving an Edge server to new hardware with the same name?
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Hi

What I can find is

To move an Edge Transport server to new hardware, you need to capture the configuration data to an XML file using cloned configuration tasks, verify that the transport queues are drained, shut down the old server, reset the computer account, bring the new server online, run Setup, restore the server configuration using cloned configuration tasks, and then run the EdgeSync process to synchronize with Active Directory.

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:48 AM
  • "reset the computer account"

doesn't that imply that the server is joined to the domain?  edge servers aren't supposed to be domain members.

Friday, March 22, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Yes... You're right.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, March 25, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Did the migration no problem.  There were a few "gotchas" that I ran into, but for the most part it was just following the instructions (minus the erroneous part about resetting the computer account in the domain.)

Now I just have this issue to resolve:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgenerallegacy/thread/e3e876f9-7fd2-47b0-b470-d2141ddb279a

• Marked as answer by blinkyjesus Monday, March 25, 2013 4:22 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 4:22 PM