locked
SharePoint 2013 migrate contentdatabase to claims RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi 

    Using SharePoint server 2013 sp1 CU 2016 April. Windows server 2012R2. 1 App, 2 WFE, 1 SQL

    I have a webapplication that was created in classic mode using powershell.
    I mounted 9 contentdatabases (classic mode).

    Ran the :

    Convert-SPWebApplication -Identity http://webAppUrl -From Legacy -To Claims -RetainPermissions -force

    Got:

    WARNING: The conversion of web application and most of the users to Claims mode
    is completed. However, one or more users could not be converted to Claims
    mode. Refer to the ULS logs for the details. For the troubleshooting tips refer
    to the http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=236943 article. 

    Ran the test-spcontent database against all 9 contentdatabases in my webapplication.


    2 of the contentdatabases returned the error:

    Category        : Configuration
    Error           : False
    UpgradeBlocking : False
    Message         : The [SharePoint - 80] web application is configured with claims authentication mode however the content database you are trying to attach is intended to be used against a windows classic authentication mode.
    Remedy          : There is an inconsistency between the authentication mode of target web application and the source web application. Ensure that the authentication mode setting in upgraded web application is the same as what you 
                      had in previous SharePoint 2010 web application. Refer to the link "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=236865" for more information.
    Locations       :  

    I have tried to run the cmdlet

    Convert-SPWebApplication -Identity http://webAppUrl -From Legacy -To Claims -RetainPermissions -force

    multiple times, but I get the same error on these 2 contentdatabases when i run the test-spcontendatabase afterwards.

    I have tried to mount the 2 databases onto a new classic webapplication and run the convert-spwebapplication anew without progress. I have also tried to mount the 2 contentdatabases to a claims-created webapplication then running the convert-spwebapplication. This still gave me the same results when testing the databases with test-spcontentdatabase.

    Other things I have tried:

    $wa = Get-SPWebApplication http://webAppUrl
    
    $wa.MigrateUsers($true)

    and

    $wa = Get-SPWebApplication http://webapp 
    $acc = 'contoso\spinstall'
    $arguments = New-Object Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebApplication+SPMigrateUserParameters 
    
    $arguments.AddDatabaseToMigrate($wa.ContentDatabases[8]) 
    $wa.MigrateUsersToClaims($acc, $true, $arguments) 
    

    Any tips on how to successfully convert the remaining contentdatabases?

    brgs

    Bjørn





    Thursday, November 24, 2016 12:12 PM

Answers

  • For one, you're going about your migration in the incorrect way. Use Convert-SPWebApplication (after each time you mount a classic database to a claims-enabled Web App). Secondly, that error may not be an actual issue, see https://thesharepointfarm.com/2014/11/test-spcontentdatabase-classic-to-claims-conversion/.

    Trevor Seward

    Office Servers and Services MVP



    Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Thursday, November 24, 2016 7:14 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

    Perhaps I my explanation was a bit unclear, i did really just use the Convert-SPWebApplication cmdlet. 
    Starting with a classic webapplication and mounted 9 classic contetdatabases.
    And you are most likely right about the test-spcontentdatabase error. I checked the users in the 2 databases that gave errors, and all were migrated to claims except a lot that didnt exist anymore.

    brgs

    Bjørn


    Friday, November 25, 2016 11:24 AM

All replies

  • For one, you're going about your migration in the incorrect way. Use Convert-SPWebApplication (after each time you mount a classic database to a claims-enabled Web App). Secondly, that error may not be an actual issue, see https://thesharepointfarm.com/2014/11/test-spcontentdatabase-classic-to-claims-conversion/.

    Trevor Seward

    Office Servers and Services MVP



    Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

    Thursday, November 24, 2016 7:14 PM
  • Hi Trevor,

    Perhaps I my explanation was a bit unclear, i did really just use the Convert-SPWebApplication cmdlet. 
    Starting with a classic webapplication and mounted 9 classic contetdatabases.
    And you are most likely right about the test-spcontentdatabase error. I checked the users in the 2 databases that gave errors, and all were migrated to claims except a lot that didnt exist anymore.

    brgs

    Bjørn


    Friday, November 25, 2016 11:24 AM