"show the lock screen after my pc is inactive for" setting missing RRS feed

• Question

• I do not see the setting "show the lock screen after my pc is inactive for" in the lock screen menu.  I am using Windows 8.1 on a desktop computer. I see screen shots on various web blogs showing this feature, but maybe it was removed in 8.1 RTM. Screen shot at the link:

http://sdrv.ms/1i8F8gi

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This option “When my PC is inactive, show the lock screen instead of turning off the screen” in your screen shot has the same function of "show the lock screen after my pc is inactive for".

Regards,

Yolanda

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Monday, November 11, 2013 4:48 AM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:47 AM
  • How do I set the amount of inactive time before the lock screen turns on? 
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:47 PM
  • Hi,

To change the inactive time, please follow the steps below:

Click Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Local Security Policy> Local Policies> Security Options> Interactive Logon: Machine Inactivity Limit>set the time you want.

Regards,

Yolanda

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:16 AM
  • Yolanda,

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:24 AM
  • This is fairly convoluted and unintuitive.
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 2:23 PM
  • I do not see the setting "show the lock screen after my pc is inactive for" in the lock screen menu.  I am using Windows 8.1 on a desktop computer. I see screen shots on various web blogs showing this feature, but maybe it was removed in 8.1 RTM. Screen shot at the link:

http://sdrv.ms/1i8F8gi

I think there are several critical points missed:

1. This "when my PC is inactive... ... ..." switch is activated only when you switch on Slide Show in the Lock Screen options. If you don't have the Slide Show ON, you will never see that option.
    2. "Local Security Policy" is only an option for PCs with Windows 8.1 Pro. Typically Home computers don't have Windows 8.x Professional and that means, you will NEVER see the "Local Security Policy" in Administrative Tools in the Control Panel to set the Inactivity Limit.
    3. Someone from another forum (http://www.howtogeek.com/134727/how-to-customize-the-lock-screen-on-windows-8/) spoke about changing the Registry. Too complex and not necessary in my humble opinion.
    4. PROBLEM:  We know the PC and devices has a option for Power and Sleep. You can set the Screen timeout and the Sleep time limit here. What happens is that even if you set the Screen to turn off after say... 20 min of inactivity, the Lock Screen shows up after 1 min. Very irritating, yes?
    5. SOLUTION: Under Personalization (Windows+C to start the Charms pane and then click on Options), you will see a link for Screen Saver. Click that, and you will see that old bugger... "On resume, display Logon Screen" set at 1 min. Just uncheck that.

Hope this helps...

Friday, December 5, 2014 3:34 PM