Word infrequently errors "There is an issue with the current printer setup" RRS feed

• Question

• We present Word to end users using Citrix and infrequently users are unable to print from Word and errors there is an issue with the users current printer (default printer) setup.  Users can print from Excel and other applications with no issue.  At the time of occurrence, a user is able to successfully print test pages from the printer setup.

As a workaround, users can select another printer.  Occasionally we overcome the matter by having the user:

1. Delete and re-add the default printer
    2. Logoff of Citrix and logon

These tricks are starting to become ineffective.  We are currently using the HP UPD PCL 6 (v5.0) because version 5.0.3 continued to break the print spoolers.

Do you have any suggestions or advice on how we might overcome this matter?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:38 PM

Answers

• Restarting the print spooler seems to resolve the issue. However, I don't understand why other users on the same server do not experience failures printing to Word at the same time as the affected users.

Do you have any ideas?

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, October 8, 2010 3:47 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What’s the version of your Word program?

It is possible that our issue is due to the printer driver or third party add-ins.

First, I suggest trying to print by starting Word with /a switch:

In Windows Vista and Windows 7

1.       Exit Word 2010

2.       Click Start

3.       In the Start Search box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office14\winword.exe" /a

In Windows XP

1.       Exit Word 2010

2.       Click Start, and then click Run.

3.       In the Open box, type the following text, and then press ENTER:
    "%programfiles%\microsoft office\office14\winword.exe" /a

If this issue does not occur when starting Word using /a switch, we can try to rename the Word Global Template:

1.       Exit all Office programs.

2.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

Note: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type command prompt. right click on command prompt and choose run as administrator.

1.       Type the following command, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running, and then press ENTER:

ren %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dotm OldNormal.dotm

1.       Type exit, and then press ENTER.

However, if the problem persists after this, change your default printer driver, and then reselect the original printer driver as the default. For detailed steps, you can refer to the “Change your default printer driver, and then reselect the original printer driver as the default” part in this KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223420

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, September 3, 2010 7:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by FritzTEK Friday, September 10, 2010 9:03 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 2:40 AM
  •  

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:01 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, September 3, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Hi Sally,

Sorry for the latent response.  I was occupied with our Exchange Migration.  We present word to users via Citrix and I have entered the command as such:

"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /a

I'll let you know whether we encounter any further issues.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, September 6, 2010 9:34 PM
  • OK. Please take your time.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Hi Sally,

Users are still encountering this issue; although we have employed the cmd:

"c:\program files (x86)\microsoft office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /a

Although Word infrequently errors about the current printer setup, users are able to print from Excel and other applications.

We are presenting these applications from a Windows 2008 Server through Citrix XenApp to Windows 7 clients.  The universal print driver seems to work best as when I downgraded the driver original print driver, we received a lot of gibberish on the Print Test page.

• Edited by FritzTEK Monday, September 13, 2010 3:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Restarting the print spooler seems to resolve the issue. However, I don't understand why other users on the same server do not experience failures printing to Word at the same time as the affected users.

Do you have any ideas?

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, October 8, 2010 3:47 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

The unexpected problem may be related to many factors, such as so many tasks in teh printer spooler. It might not occur on every client.

As restarting the printer spooler resolves the issue, I would like to mark it as answer.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Friday, October 8, 2010 3:49 AM