DiscoverSQL2012DBEngineDiscovery.vbs : Failed to connect to the WMI registry provider on Permission denied RRS feed

• Question

• DiscoverSQL2012DBEngineDiscovery.vbs : Failed to connect to the WMI registry provider on Permission denied

This is becoming a real problem on many of our SQL Clusters, and I cannot pinpoint the issue. I have tried SAs, Domain Admins, Local Admins, I don't get it. Does anyone have a resolution or any advice to fix?

The process started at 10:44:58 AM failed to create System.Discovery.Data, no errors detected in the output.  The process exited with 0

Command executed: "C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "DiscoverSQL2012DBEngineDiscovery.vbs" {8F438FB1-979F-FB1D-C91A-F35DEA2394EE} {DEFF3F66-BF9E-052B-3C90-EBD5BA24E446} sdf sdf USHUBSQLV02 "Exclude:" True
    Working Directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Monitoring Agent\Agent\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 7\3663\ 

One or more workflows were affected by this.  

Workflow name: Microsoft.SQLServer.2012.DBEngineDiscoveryRule.Server 
    Instance name: sdf 
    Instance ID: {DEFF3F66-BF9E-052B-3C90-EBD5BA24E446} 
    Management group: asdf

Brody Kilpatrick

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:49 PM

Answers

• The problem may came from the SQL Sever discovery Account privilege issue, makes sure that the Discovery Action Account has
    1. log on locally right.
    2. has Read permission on HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server registry path
    3. has “Execute Methods”, “Enable Account”, “Remote Enable”, “Read Security” permissions for root, root\cimv2, root\default, root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ComputerManagement11 WMI namespaces
    4. has Read permission on HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\[InstanceID]\MSSQLServer\Parameters registry path
    Roger
    Thursday, May 14, 2015 3:35 AM