How to find the list of community sites where a user is member of? RRS feed

• Question

• I have more than 100 site collections in my web application created using Community Site template. Several thousands of users are members of different community sites. I mean not all users are member (joined) of all community sites.

In my web application root site collection, I need to show a section consisting of Community Site Title and its links to the community site where the user is member of. This will make it handy for my users to reach their community sites (Joined already)  easily. I mean how to find the list of community sites where a user is member of? What is best easiest option?

Thanks and appreciate your help.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Riovanne,

From your description, display all the sites where the user has access to in the root site collection.

As an suggestion, as SharePoint search results are security trimmed, you can use content search web part to display sites a user have access to.

You can add a page, then add a content search web part in a page, add query text with WebTemplate:Community

Then add a hyperlink in home page which redirect to the content search web part page.

Refer to the following article about SharePoint content search web part to show community sites:

https://en.share-gate.com/blog/sharepoint-2013-content-search-site-portal

Refer to the articles about using SharePoint Search to find sites you have access to:

http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.sg/2015/07/using-sharepoint-serach-to-find-sites.html

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:20 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your reply. But my requirement is to show the community sites where the user is member of; JOINED to the community. Join Community is a function in community site where the user needs to join to post and reply to discussions. 

I do not want to show the communities where the user is having READ access! But to show the communities where the user is having MEMBER access ONLY by joining it. Not if content search webpart will help.

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:42 PM
  • Any update please? I a, looking for a KQL to get only the Community Site names and URls to which the user has JOINED!! JOINED Means the user exists in the Members List.
    • Edited by MC ROY Monday, March 20, 2017 11:35 AM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 10:44 AM
  • Hi Riovanne,

To display all community sites that the current user is a “member” of it, we need to use “MemberOWSUSER:{User.Name}” in search result web part.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:26 AM
  • I used  MemberOWSUSER:{User.Name} in search results web part and did a full crawl of the content source but still it shows community sites where the used joined and left from it. It seems because when a user leave the community, the community members lists still keep the users membership information and only changes the status of the member. 

Now Is there a possibility to only filter and show the community sites where user the user  with active membership (status =1) in community members list?

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 7:55 AM