Activating Windows 7 with its own KMS server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I would like to install a KMS host to a Windows 7 64-bit machine to activate Windows 7 64-bit PC-s on the network.

How can I activate the Windows 7 OS on the PC where I installed the KMS host?

Can the KMS host activate its own PC as well? 

Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:29 PM

Answers

• My question is how to activate Windows 7 on PC1?

Does the KMS server able to activate Windows 7 on its own PC?

Hi Filippo,

I had the same question myself. The answer is: The KMS Host is itself activated by virtue of being a host.

1 enter the KMS host key - >cscript slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

2 activate KMS - >cscript slmgr.vbs -ato

There is a video showing this here

Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:46 AM

All replies

• Hello Filippo Neri,

You would activate the Windows 7 KMS host key with the Microsoft Activation servers similar to the process used with the Retail activation experience,  This can be done either over the Internet or via the phone using the Actvation Wizard via control panel.

THe KMS host will not activate it's own PC

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, April 30, 2010 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe I was not clear enough.

For example I have 30 PCs with Windows 7 OSs. I name them PC1 to PC30.

I install KMS server on PC1 using my KMS key.

After that I will be able to activate PC2 to PC30 using KMS server hosted on PC1.

My question is how to activate Windows 7 on PC1?

Monday, May 3, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Hello Filippo,

No the KMS host cannot activate itself.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Hi. You may run some command at your PC1

>slmgr -ipk "follow by your kms key" (this command is to install your kms key)

>slmgr -ato (this command is to activate your windows 7)

It will show your a message box whether you are successfully activate or not.

Thank you.

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:20 PM
  • My question is how to activate Windows 7 on PC1?

Hi Filippo,

I had the same question myself. The answer is: The KMS Host is itself activated by virtue of being a host.

1 enter the KMS host key - >cscript slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

2 activate KMS - >cscript slmgr.vbs -ato

There is a video showing this here

Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Hi!

Nice info about  this script.  It Works. (When you have admin rights)

But j need to activate Win7  With KMS  server, and the users thats logging on to the PC does not have admin rights on the PC, and can´t activate thru this script.

Is there any other way to enter the KMS Host key without admin rights ????

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:13 PM
  • Hello

See this link

There is a registry setting that can be changed to enable that scenario so Standard Users can activate

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793431.aspx 

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:44 PM