Unable to drag files from compressed folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who often recieves compressed folders containg lots of files of varioues types. He use Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit with no 3rd party compression tool, only Windows built in. Usually he opens the compressed folder, selects i.e all PDF-files and drags them to to a destination folder in order to extract them.

Now it stopped working and it's behaving very wierd. When he drags the selected files, i.e PDF, nothing happens at first. The progress bar never pops up and no files are extracted. When he repeats the maneuver only some of the selected files are extracted and some of them dissapear suddenly after extraction. He will eventually get all the select files extracted by doing this maneuver lots of times.

Draging one file at a time works. Right clicking on the compressed folder and choosing "Extract here" works but he does not want to extract all file types. He's not keen either on using a free 3rd party program for this. I have scoured the net but I have not been able to find anything relevant. Any ideas?

Best regards
    Thomas

Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can try to right click the file in compressed folder, then choose "copy". Make sure whether it is can be copied to other folder.

In addition, you can make a clean boot for test, to make sure whether it is because a  program or service caused your problem.

Please refer to the following link for more details.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796?wa=wsignin1.0

Friday, July 5, 2013 8:39 AM
  • When the user copies files, either by right clicking the files or using CTRL+C, he gets the same results as when he drags the files. I'll see if I can help the user trying a clean test, he's at another office at the other part of the city.

I thought that the compress file tool was a feature that could be re-installed but it doesn't seem that way.

I asked him to copy the compressed folder to his desktop and drag files from there to a test folder he also will need to create on his desktop. I just want to know if this is related to extracting files by dragging them from one network folder to another. I'm waiting for the users feedback.
    • Edited by Thomas.Karlsson Friday, July 5, 2013 9:37 AM user is going to test
    Friday, July 5, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

How are your problem going? Is it ok to extracting files by dragging them from one drive to other folder?

Monday, July 8, 2013 7:01 AM
  • Hello Roger!

Sorry for a very late answer but I've been on a vacation. Apparently it works on the users local drives so this is somehow related to a network issue. I had a colleague looking into this problem when I was away. We are now thinking about pushing out a 3rd party compression tool as we cannot find a solution to this problem.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:41 AM