Cannot install virtual machine manager agent on hosts error 2927 RRS feed

• Question

• I receive the following error when I try to install the virtual machine.
    Error (2927)
    A Hardware Management error has occurred trying to contact server "servername"
    (Unknown error (0x80338126))

Recommended Action
    Check that WinRM is installed and running on server "servername". For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult"

I checked the error and it mentions timeouts. How do I change this or get this to work. I know that the winrm service is running and that there is no firewall running. I can ping the host machine that I want to access with no problem.

I have one server that connected no problem and I have compared the winrm configs of both and found some main differences
    the one that works has larger timeouts, default ports are different and basic auth is set to true

There are other differences but I suspect that one or all of these are causing the issue.

Any help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

So you really have two distinct issues, actually on different servers, that need to be separated.

1.  Agent installation fails with Error (2916) 0x80338126
    2.  Host status 'Not Responding' after a period of time

Issue #1
    As the error message in your previous post indicates, this problem is caused by interupted connectivity between the VMM server and the host-to-be.  WinRM is the control channel that VMM uses to communicate with hosts and library servers.  Typically, when troubleshooting WinRM errors such as this the first step is to run the VMMCA, targeting both the VMM server as well as the host-to-be.  Usually there are one or more missing hotfixes relating to WinRM that once installed will resolve this issue.

It sounds like you ran the VMMCA while on VMM RTM.  Now that you've upgraded to VMM R2, you'll need to run the VMMCA again.  Post back the results. 

You can also run the following commands on the Host-to-be to check the current status of WinRM.
         a.  winrm qc
         b.  winrm id

Issue #2
    I have a couple of questions about this new issue.
        a.  Does the status return to "Ok" once the host has been rebooted?
        b.  Does the status ever change back to "Ok" with no administrative actions?
    Check out item3 in this blog:  http://blogs.technet.com/mbriggs/archive/2009/06/03/how-to-troubleshoot-host-status-of-not-responding-in-scvmm-2008.aspx.  The major clue to this being an issue is IF restarting the host returns the status to 'Ok' then after a period of time it again returns to 'Not Responding'.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by etho Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:11 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. It has solved my issue on servers I have connecting to my vmm 2008 r2 machine but needing attention. Setting the service to run as it's own process has them responding all the time (fingers crossed it has only been running correctly for about 2 hours now).

I will now look at the other issue of it not wanting to join to the vmm machine for my other servers but I think I might make the same change before joining to see if this also resolves my problem. 

Further to this. Once I have set the WinRM service to run as its own process all issues with adding the servers to VMM are gone. They all add with no issue and do this quite quickly.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

I take its the agent your trying to install.

Did you try to install it locally on the server?
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Hi,

No I did not try installing the agent locally because I want to get to the bottom of why I cannot push the agent.

I would much prefer to be able to push agents as I should be able to rather than install them locally and then join them.

I want to fix this so that I can make sure they can contact each other as expected.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:14 AM
  • Hi,

0x80338126 = a WinRM timeout occurred

So think of it this way.  VMM was trying to push out the agent to a sever intended to become a managed host.  VMM uses WinRM for such communication.  If for some reason WinRM times out while trying to contact the host-to-be, then this error or one similar will be displayed and the process fail.

So how do you fix it?

The first step is to run the VMMCA, or the Virtual Machine Manager Configuration Analyzer.  The VMMCA can be downloaded from here:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=02d83950-c03d-454e-803b-96d1c1d5be24&displaylang=en 

Install the VMMCA on the VMM server.  Be sure to note the pre-req (MBCA) on that same site.  When you run it, select "other computer" and enter the name of the server intended to become a managed host.  That way it will target both the VMM server and host-to-be.  My guess is that it will find one or more missing hotfixes that is needed for the agent push to be successful. 

Another thought, what version of VMM are you running?  And what OS is the server you want to become a managed host?  Remember that you cannot add W2K8 R2 servers as managed hosts in a VMM RTM environment.  If you need to manage W2K8 R2 hosts, then you need to be running VMM R2. 

Hope this helps! 

Thanks, Mike

• Proposed as answer by mlbriggs Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:54 AM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:54 AM
  • Thanks for the info Mike. I have used the VMMCA tool for the server itself already but not for a remote server.

I am trying to manage Win2008 servers with SCVMM 2008. The hosts I was able to join up were Win2008 R2 servers. I haven't tried doing any management but I will be upgrading to R2 once I get this agent stuff working.

I have now run the configuration analyzer tool and it says hotfix 971244 and 971677 are not installed.

Even though these hotfixes do not specifically mention the errors I am getting I will install these and see how it goes. I will write back with my results.

Thank you.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Just a quick note.  VMM 2008 cannot manage W2K8 R2 hosts.  If you want to manage W2K8 R2 host you'll need to upgrade to VMM R2.

Please check the following TechNet article for additional informaiton.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764213.aspx

Thanks,
    Mike
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Ok, have made some and no progress. I have upgraded the VMM 2008 machine to VMM 2008 R2.

After doing this I did a manual install of the agent on one of the 2008 host servers and managed to join the server up to the VMM 2008 R2 machine but every half hour it reports the host server as not responding and when it does manage to respond it reports the host as needs attention with the connection status set to not responding and the virtualization service status as unknown.

On another server I applied the patches that the analyzer tool warned about and then tried to push the agent. This still fails with the original error but a different recommended action as follows
    Ensure that the WS-Management service and the agent are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTP traffic. If the error persists, reboot host and the try the operation again.

I will try and install the agent on this host and then try and join it up but I fear I will encounter the same issue I have with the other server where it stops responding every half hour.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Hello again,

Have tried the manual install and get the following errors
    Error 2916
    VMM is unable to complete the request. The connection to the agent ***hostname*** was lost.
    (Unknown error (0x80338126)

Recommended action
    Ensure that the WS-Management service and the agent are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTP traffic. If the error persists, reboot ***hostname*** and then try the operation again.

Now I have made sure the firewall is not on and that the ws management service and the agent are running and I still get this issue.

Once again any ideas would be welcome.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

So you really have two distinct issues, actually on different servers, that need to be separated.

1.  Agent installation fails with Error (2916) 0x80338126
    2.  Host status 'Not Responding' after a period of time

Issue #1
    As the error message in your previous post indicates, this problem is caused by interupted connectivity between the VMM server and the host-to-be.  WinRM is the control channel that VMM uses to communicate with hosts and library servers.  Typically, when troubleshooting WinRM errors such as this the first step is to run the VMMCA, targeting both the VMM server as well as the host-to-be.  Usually there are one or more missing hotfixes relating to WinRM that once installed will resolve this issue.

It sounds like you ran the VMMCA while on VMM RTM.  Now that you've upgraded to VMM R2, you'll need to run the VMMCA again.  Post back the results. 

You can also run the following commands on the Host-to-be to check the current status of WinRM.
         a.  winrm qc
         b.  winrm id

Issue #2
    I have a couple of questions about this new issue.
        a.  Does the status return to "Ok" once the host has been rebooted?
        b.  Does the status ever change back to "Ok" with no administrative actions?
    Check out item3 in this blog:  http://blogs.technet.com/mbriggs/archive/2009/06/03/how-to-troubleshoot-host-status-of-not-responding-in-scvmm-2008.aspx.  The major clue to this being an issue is IF restarting the host returns the status to 'Ok' then after a period of time it again returns to 'Not Responding'.

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. It has solved my issue on servers I have connecting to my vmm 2008 r2 machine but needing attention. Setting the service to run as it's own process has them responding all the time (fingers crossed it has only been running correctly for about 2 hours now).

I will now look at the other issue of it not wanting to join to the vmm machine for my other servers but I think I might make the same change before joining to see if this also resolves my problem. 

Further to this. Once I have set the WinRM service to run as its own process all issues with adding the servers to VMM are gone. They all add with no issue and do this quite quickly.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 11:11 PM