Windows 7 status 0xc000000e : A lot of machines can´t start RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario:

Since 3-March-2015 a lot of computers in my company failed to start. The message error appeared is:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
    cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and
    restart your computer.
    2. Choose your lenguage settings, and then click
    "Next".
    3. Click "Repair your computer".

Info:The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccesible"

Issues:

-The error appeared in around 200 computers at the same time.

-All the computers are running Windows 7 Professional, but a couple of computer were running Windows 7 Ultimate

-We use to do images to install the machines, I read that this could be one of the reason of the fail

-I ordered not to restart computers since March the 5th, normally a repaired computer restart with no problema but in couple of machines the error apear once again and we have to reinstalle them. We have still a bunch of computers the dont´s reboot since before March the 3rd, so we know they are going to fail in the next reboot

-My first though was that something was wrong with Kaspersky, we asked for support to them but nothing was found relating the fail and kaspersky products

-If I run sfc/scannow in a machine that I know it can fail there is a bunch of messages showing errors in some files, normaly in sysWow64 directory, but I don´t know if this is relevant

-------------

So, what I´d like to know:

1-What files are misssing/corrupted

2-What procces caused that

Thanks in advance.

Serafin.

Monday, March 23, 2015 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hello there,

Are you able to boot in "safe mode"? If yes, I suggest you to put the computer in clean boot state and check. 

Similar issue is found here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/0xc000000e-boot-error/ef08ab00-e130-4301-bc80-79d5b414a81f

Hope this helps! 

Monday, March 23, 2015 10:27 AM
  • Hello, thanks for the quick responde.

In every single case It was not possible to boot in "Safe Mode", so I had to perform the repair proccess, wich was succesfully in about the 50% of the computers. Ir the rest of the cases we had to reinstall the machines :-(

Regartds,

S.

Monday, March 23, 2015 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

Have you done any changes recently actually? After run sfc command, what's exact output?

Have you tried the links's solution Machine provided? What's repair method you used for 50% successful computers?

I would like to suggest you rebuild the boot section with Bootrec.exe

Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot startup issues

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:16 AM
  • Thank Karem for you advices. I answer to your questions:

1-Have you done any changes recently actually? No, excepting the stuff around AD: GPO updates, Windows updates and that kind of stuff

2-After run sfc command, what's exact output? Basically it´s a large log file. I will search for relevant information and post it here

3-Have you tried the links's solution Machine provided? What's repair method you used for 50% successful computers? I perform automatic boot repair in Windows RE. If it fails a perform a restore point in Windows RE. If it fails I reinstall the PC

4-"I would like to suggest you rebuild the boot section with Bootrec.exe". I tried in two machines, it worked in one of them.

Thanks, I will be back with the log file after runnig scf/scannow

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Hi,

How is the current situation after you run the sfc /scannow command?

For Bootrec.exe method,  you tried in two machines, it worked in one of them. I want to know in one unworked computer, what's error it appear?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 27, 2015 8:11 AM