Computer/Patches with errors/ too many RRS feed

• Question

• Hello dear Forum !

I just implemented a 2012 R2 WSUS Server..
    fresh clean install.-NO SEPARATE SQL DATABASE
    At the moment we have 2003/2008(R2),2012 (R2),Server,some old VISTA Machines,W7,W8,W10.
    So I decided to get all the updates for these machines.

I declined all updates until Oct 2015 on the new WSUS Server because the old WSUS 2008 Server got decommissioned and has been responsible for updates until Oct 2015.
    After testing I allowed all updates since Nov 2015 .The test machines were OK.

Problem in Production now:

Many updates/clients have a red cross in WSUS console (error failed install) and I do not know how to fix this.
    Different office updates, Patches,Clients except Win10 Clients.

Any help or how to start troubleshooting is very much appreciated.-Thank you

Karen

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:30 PM

Answers

• Hi KarenKirstin,

>Many updates/clients have a red cross in WSUS console (error failed install) and I do not know how to fix this.

If the update failed to download, event 364 will be recorded in event viewer, it will show the reason. Open Event Viewer > Customer Views >Server Roles > Windows Server Update Services, find error 364.

>I declined all updates until Oct 2015 on the new WSUS Server because the old WSUS 2008 Server got decommissioned and has been responsible for updates until Oct 2015.

If you don't want clients update from the new WSUS server, we don't need to decline all updates, because only updates approved for install can be downloaded to clients.

Besides, if we found the issue is really complex after troubleshooting, it is recommended to reinstall the WSUS role, after removing the WSUS role, delete SUSDB.mdf too, (WSUS database) in C:\windows\WID\Data. Then re-add WSUS server role. 

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KarenKirstin Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Thank you for your help and Tip with NOT declining old updates.!!!

I could find the problem- IIS needed a tweak !

Regards Karen

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi KarenKirstin,

>Many updates/clients have a red cross in WSUS console (error failed install) and I do not know how to fix this.

If the update failed to download, event 364 will be recorded in event viewer, it will show the reason. Open Event Viewer > Customer Views >Server Roles > Windows Server Update Services, find error 364.

>I declined all updates until Oct 2015 on the new WSUS Server because the old WSUS 2008 Server got decommissioned and has been responsible for updates until Oct 2015.

If you don't want clients update from the new WSUS server, we don't need to decline all updates, because only updates approved for install can be downloaded to clients.

Besides, if we found the issue is really complex after troubleshooting, it is recommended to reinstall the WSUS role, after removing the WSUS role, delete SUSDB.mdf too, (WSUS database) in C:\windows\WID\Data. Then re-add WSUS server role. 

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KarenKirstin Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:08 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Thank you for your help and Tip with NOT declining old updates.!!!

I could find the problem- IIS needed a tweak !

Regards Karen

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:07 PM