none
Can you restrict print job size via group policy?

Question

• Hi I have a Windows 2016 Server acting as a Print Server for my school district. It has 165 printers installed, serving 3 buildings on our campus. We are in an Active Directory environment.

It works okay 90% of the time. We are running into problems with print queues freezing when students try to print huge print jobs. We use black & white Lexmark laser printers in each classroom and they work great for text files, but the students like to print pictures from the internet. We're talking huge 20 megapixel full page sized color pictures. The print jobs are sometimes in excess of 100 MB and the printers generally only work with print jobs smaller than 10 MB (most of their text documents are less than 1 MB in size).

Simply removing the offending job from the queue and restarting the print spooler on the server solves the problem, until it happens again. And again. And again.

We are torn on how to fix the problem. My boss is suggesting we have a separate print server for each building, because he thinks the one server just can't handle the number of printers across the whole district. This would take a lot of work, probably be a little more complicated to manage, and I don't think addresses the real problem which is huge print jobs freezing the print queue.

I would like to set up a group policy that just has the print server drop any jobs bigger than 10 MB. Is this possible? How would I go about doing it?

Thanks for your time.

Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:38 AM

Answers

• Just to confirm what Frank said.  That's not something that Windows will do.

There are third party products available for this need.

Be sure to turn off Lexmark's Language monitor software for each printer.  Uncheck Bidirectional support on the Port tab of every printer.

Doing disk quotas might work if you made spool directories for each printers.  If you want to go down that path let me know.  If you have only a few printers where students print then the work to achieve that might not have too much overhead.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Monday, May 14, 2018 12:29 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research,there are no built-in policies to meet your goals.

There is a idea for you,sticking a quota on the drive where the print spooler folder resides.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/fsrm/quota-management

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, May 11, 2018 7:42 AM
  • Just to confirm what Frank said.  That's not something that Windows will do.

There are third party products available for this need.

Be sure to turn off Lexmark's Language monitor software for each printer.  Uncheck Bidirectional support on the Port tab of every printer.

Doing disk quotas might work if you made spool directories for each printers.  If you want to go down that path let me know.  If you have only a few printers where students print then the work to achieve that might not have too much overhead.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Monday, May 14, 2018 12:29 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 14, 2018 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:26 AM