English version of IE10 installed automatically on international Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• My parents just called me with this issue. They have Windows 7 64bit SP1, Polish versions, and it got updated overnight to IE10 English version, which is rather confusing for those who are not proficient in English. So far all attempts to replace it with Polish version of IE10 have failed - when trying to install manually downloaded one, Windows reports that "newer version of Internet Explorer is already installed" and no go . We are trying to install IE10 , from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages. There seem to be no way to uninstall English IE10, removing it via "Turn Windows features on and off" does not seem to help either. Any ideas? My parents rather like IE and would prefer to continue to use it rather than switch to Firefox, but they want Polish version, just like the rest of operating system.
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 7:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• ie10 is issued through and as a Important windows update so you would need to Uninstall the update not Turn windows features on or off,

Control panel/ Windows updates/ View installed updates on the top left/ Right click ie10 and Uninstall.

You will need to change how you receive windows updates so ie10 will not re-download and install when you boot or shut down your machine here is a picture of the windows update setting to use,

https://33giqq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1pTVkJ7OVZ8pNcUjoDE2vfxQ2fT-u1G5h06RHiQFR_lS-4GdQgq0-6UzO5qIClH3RNh72_WzMpDFsSiRBa5pP_N6d2YItfpTYK/Change%20win-updates.jpg?psid=1

• Marked as answer by Bronek Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:44 PM
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:49 AM
  • Thank you, it worked! It's bit tricky to find IE10 in the long list of updates, I initially gave up.
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:45 PM
  • tricky to find IE10 in the long list of updates

Here's the trick:   In View Installed Updates  press Ctrl-e and type  I* E* 10

or if you weren't sure which level of browsing functionality you had installed you could instead type:  Int* Ex*

Turns out the closures are unnecessary too.   Who knew?   I think  I* E* 10  is more understandable than  I E 10  though.  ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:08 PM
    Answerer