none
Fast ESP 5.3 - Is there any way to clean the admin server queue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a problem with FAST ESP, actually sometimes it simply refuse to clear or delete a collections and fall in time out...

collection-admin.cmd -m clearcollection -n collectionname

I think that occurs when i'm like stressing it by testing some crawling - clearing ... or trying to clear multiple collection at the same time...

Its seem that there's a queue in adminserver that restore the last pending operations event after restarting the service.

Is there any way to clean that queue and let the command

Thanks

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Guillaume,

For issues deleting collections, the first item I would look at is how many collections do you have?  Also, how many views are in your environment?  You can find that out with the command, “ view-admin – m list”  The below KB article notes that it is not recommended to exceed 100 views (which relate to how many collections are in the environment):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2587443/en-us

IMPORTANT: We do not recommend deploying a high number of views (greater than 100) on a cluster/system. From experience, a high number of views may result in problems during:
    -deploying views
    -deleting collections
    -updating index-profile
    -deleting views
    -deploying dictionaries

The general best practice is to maintain approximately 100 views or fewer (50 Search Profiles) per cluster.
    A workaround in this situation is to delete all deployments tables, delete any views not needed, and then deploy the needed views, using the view-admin tool using the below steps: 

Also, I understand that some components show 5.3.4.59 or lower in your environment.  This should correlate to esp.5.3.SP4.searchengine.patch10.  Do you also have a base patch applied to the environment, such as esp.5.3.SP4.base.patch06, as well?  Ultimately,  I would recommend being at ESP 5.3 SP5, along with the latest searchengine patch02, but the number of views can negatively impact the ability to delete collections, so I would consider taking action there, should you have over 100 views.  Let us know your findings.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:28 PM

All replies

• I don't believe there is a way to clear queue in adminserver.
    Have you tried to use other commands to clear the collection content i.e

indexeradmin –a cleancollection <collectionname>

or
    ◾Generate a list of all documents internal ids on the target collection and save it to a file.
    ◾ indexerinfo reportcontents <collection name> > documents.txt
    ◾It will save the list internal ids on the documents.txt file.
    ◾Run a command to delete all documents list on the file you generated on the previous step.
    ◾indexeradmin rdocs file.txt <collection name> <execution number>

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:04 PM
  • indexeradmin –a cleancollection <collectionname> takes a lot of time to complete for each collection

I don't know why ...

even for small collections of 200 documents.

rdocs would be the perfect solution but it doesnt seem to work :

PS C:\Scripts> indexeradmin rdocs c:\Scripts\documents.txt sftdocs 99
    Performing admin operation for indexer in column 0, row 0
    Removing documents
    Progress: Sending final 1 removes...
    Operations 1 to 1 are secure.
    Progress: Completed sending removes to indexer. Num removes = 1
    SUCCESS.

After that i can see in the UI that none of documents has been deleted and even i can reoutput a file with the same documents ...

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:57 PM
  • What ESP patch level are you on?
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:18 PM
  • FAST ESP 5.3 SP4 and 5.3.4.59 for some component (5.3.4.xx less than 59 for others)
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:05 PM
  • There have been improvements on the latest searchengine patches. So I would recommend applying SP5 which includes latest SP4 patches as well.
    Friday, July 19, 2013 8:12 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

For issues deleting collections, the first item I would look at is how many collections do you have?  Also, how many views are in your environment?  You can find that out with the command, “ view-admin – m list”  The below KB article notes that it is not recommended to exceed 100 views (which relate to how many collections are in the environment):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2587443/en-us

IMPORTANT: We do not recommend deploying a high number of views (greater than 100) on a cluster/system. From experience, a high number of views may result in problems during:
    -deploying views
    -deleting collections
    -updating index-profile
    -deleting views
    -deploying dictionaries

The general best practice is to maintain approximately 100 views or fewer (50 Search Profiles) per cluster.
    A workaround in this situation is to delete all deployments tables, delete any views not needed, and then deploy the needed views, using the view-admin tool using the below steps: 

Also, I understand that some components show 5.3.4.59 or lower in your environment.  This should correlate to esp.5.3.SP4.searchengine.patch10.  Do you also have a base patch applied to the environment, such as esp.5.3.SP4.base.patch06, as well?  Ultimately,  I would recommend being at ESP 5.3 SP5, along with the latest searchengine patch02, but the number of views can negatively impact the ability to delete collections, so I would consider taking action there, should you have over 100 views.  Let us know your findings.

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:28 PM