Exchange 2010 SP1 Standard - Database Size Discrepancy RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, i'm having an issue with an Exchange 2010 SP1 Standard database where the size is 10GB's larger than the total of all mailboxes. The total of all mailboxes are 64GB, the actual DB file is 74GB (The Public Store is only 136MB). This is causing the daily online backup (Mozy Pro) of the DB to use 74GB, which is a waste of 10GB. The logs are being purged after backups so that isn't the issue. I also have a local backup running daily using Windows Server Backup. I previously created a new DB & moved all mailboxes over & the size of the new DB went down to the what it should be. It gradually increased again & then I did it again when I implemented an Archiving system (not Exchange 2010 archiving) since the whitespace was over 20+GB. I have already decreased the RecoverableItemsQuota to 5GB & the RecoverableItemsWarningQuota to 3GB. MailboxRetention is 30 days & DeletedItemRetention is 14 days. Im using a powershell tool called Exchange 2010 Mailbox Size Form that allows me to export all the mailboxes numbers (total items, size, & DelItems) to an Excel file.  When I total the MB size, its 63GB, the DelItems is about 767MB. Whitespace is only 89MB.  So i'm at a loss to where the extra 10GB is being used. Is there another way to gather total mailbox size just in case this tool is giving me wrong numbers? Can anybody point me in the right direction to figuring this discrepancy out? Thanks.
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 5:48 PM

All replies

• Do you use any 3rd party archiving product or journaling?

If yes, see this - KB2621266

Sukh
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 9:04 PM