none
Cannot backup 2008 R2 SP1 Hyper V host through parent partition. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to backup a new Hyper-V VM. Both the host and VM are running 2008 R2 SP1. Before installing SP1 I was able to select an online backup of the VM but after upgrading the host to SP1 only the option to backup using saved state exists. I tried upgrading the VM to Sp1 and reinstalling the Hyper V additions but I still only have the "Saved State" option. Does SCE 2010 not support Hyper V 2008 R2 SP1? Thanks.

• Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:40 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:56 PM

Answers

• By default, DPM 2010 performs a backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) in an online state. However, DPM cannot back up a Hyper-V VM in an online state, if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.

• VM has one or more dynamic disks.

• VM has one or more non-NTFS based volumes.

• The VM Cluster Resource Group in a cluster setup is offline.

• VM is not in a running state.

• A ShadowStorage assignment of a volume inside the VM is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.

More information is available in the content titled “Conditions When DPM Fails to Back up Hyper-V Virtual Machines in an Online State” at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:44 PM

All replies

• SCE? essentials 2010? why you talk about backup (dpm) with sce?

S

S.Net
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator - MCTS Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M
    S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal

Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:44 AM
  • By default, DPM 2010 performs a backup of a Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) in an online state. However, DPM cannot back up a Hyper-V VM in an online state, if one or more of the following conditions are true:

• Backup (Volume Snapshot) Integration Service is disabled or not installed.

• VM has one or more dynamic disks.

• VM has one or more non-NTFS based volumes.

• The VM Cluster Resource Group in a cluster setup is offline.

• VM is not in a running state.

• A ShadowStorage assignment of a volume inside the VM is explicitly set to a different volume other than itself.

More information is available in the content titled “Conditions When DPM Fails to Back up Hyper-V Virtual Machines in an Online State” at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399205.aspx.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:44 PM
  • If the VM has a emulated network card, will that also be something that would result in a Saved State backup?

Regards,

Bruce.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:47 PM