Safely remove harware problem!!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

i am experiencing a problem whilw removing all devices - a nokia N73, an apple ipod, and a card reader. apparentle vista does not turn off the power on the device connected<this was done in xp> as a result the devices give me the messege that "data might be lost or corrupted" even thogh pc says its safe to remove. a similar prob is described here. ny solutions????   http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1831892&SiteID=17
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Please try steps below to check this issue:

1.    Update the driver of motherboard or chipset from the website of manufacturer.

2.    In Power Options, Click to Change plan settings of the plan is currently used, then click Change advanced power settings. Please enable the USB selective suspend setting under USB settings. And check the issue again. Please also refer to the following KB article:

(KB930312) The "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" power management option for a USB Root Hub does not remain selected after you restart Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;930312

3.    An update (KB936284) may have fixed the issue about to safe remove iPod from Windows Vista-based PC. Please refer to the following KB article:

(KB936824) The Safely Remove Hardware feature and the Windows Explorer "Eject" command do not work correctly with an Apple iPod that is connected to a Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;936824

If the problem still persists, please let me know the detail of this issue, including:

1.    Have you received a message that verifies whether the device was safely removed after you try to safely remove the device.

2.    Whether this issue occur with all USB devices.

3.    The model of the motherboard you are using.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 3, 2007 4:00 AM
  • steps taken

1. my motherboard is a NVIDIA nforce4 K8nNEO4 platinum. i downloaded and installed the drivers from nvidia website. latest relese is 15.01 for vista 32 bit. it is WHQL certified as well. flashed bios to 1.0D<latest version>

2. Enabled the required setting under power options.

3. Had previously Installed all the important and recommended updates through windows update including the ipod corrupt one. anyways i normally eject ipod using itunes and it works fine.

Result

1.Ipod seems to be working fine because i use itunes to eject it.

2.Nokia N73 a>I plug in the device through USB cable, choose mass storage mode on my phone and transfer files. 

b> I try safely removing it. PC does it and says "device can be safely removed".

c> phone remains in "mass storage mode and upon unplugging gives messege "data might be corrupted or lost. please close all transfers before removing".DOES NOT HAPPEN IN XP. xp removes it and simultaneosly phone also leaves storage mode.

3. 36 in 1 card reader. In this a green light indicates that card is in use. upon safely removing pc gives thumbs up but light continuse to flash. reader belongs to tech com card is a 512 MB transcend MMC. in XP when pc safely removes it the green light ALSO stops flashing.

4. Transcent Jetflash V30 2GB pendrive. same as card reader. a blue light indicates that it is in use. continuse to flash upon safely removing. stops flashing in xp.

5. Sony PSP does not automatically leave USB mode as in xp.

At all times i make sure NO WINDOW using the device is open. i have never lost or corrurpted any data. anyways safely remove is supposed to do that. ive tried to provide all possible information lionel. if uneed my messenger id ill give it so that we can chat. plz help me at the earliest. i thought buying an expensive vista ultimate was the end of all probs but wooohhh.....

Some more info

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:20 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback!

I’m sorry for reply delay due to the weekend. For your convenience, I also checked the possibilities that may causes this problem, that takes a while. You understanding is appreciated!

There are some enhancements and changes of Safely Remove Hardware features in Windows Vista. That may be the reason why the problem occurs. I recommend you to install the following updates for that:

1.    (KB936003) Cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;936003

2.    (KB936824) The Safely Remove Hardware feature and the Windows Explorer "Eject" command do not work correctly with an Apple iPod that is connected to a Windows Vista-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;936824

3.    (KB931619) When you click the Safely Remove Hardware icon in Windows Vista, the device in question may not be removed as expected
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931619

4.    (KB940508) In Windows Vista, a USB device may lose data if you right-click the device in Windows Explorer and then click Eject

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;940508

Note: For KB940508, contact Microsoft Customer Support Services to obtain the hotfix.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2007 4:31 AM
  • Hi,

I've been experienced the same problem as frank1991. My devices are Nokia N61i (used as card reader) and a card reader too. Vista  does not turn off the power on the device connected < that happens in xp >.
    I applied all listed fixes in your answer but the problem persist.
    Can you help me ?

thanks

Ermy

Friday, December 14, 2007 9:44 PM
  • I also applied all the patches although i couldnt get the hotfixes because when i fill in all the details it says "your request could not be processed try another method some *** like this... and im surprised thr r so so few posts about this one the only other i found ws the one i gave in my first post in this thread. it is a mojor proband dont know what the hell to do....ive stopped using my vista pc as i no longer hv xp : - ( i use my laptop instead... dunno w to do

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:35 PM
  •  Freak1991 wrote:

I also applied all the patches although i couldnt get the hotfixes because when i fill in all the details it says "your request could not be processed try another method some *** like this... and im surprised thr r so so few posts about this one the only other i found ws the one i gave in my first post in this thread. it is a mojor proband dont know what the *** to do....ive stopped using my vista pc as i no longer hv xp : - ( i use my laptop instead... dunno w to do

Well until today, I couldn't find any solution for this problem.

Any help here?

Friday, October 3, 2008 5:30 AM
  • I have just buy an WS Passport Elite drive, my vista x64 is up to date and the problem still exist.
    I have to shutdown down the whole computer to spin down the USB drive...

If i use the safely removal tool, vista indicate all is all right and the device can be disconnected, but if i do it this way i can heard the disk heads brutally stopped.
    On a laptop with XP, the same action make the drive spin down BEFORE the system indicate i can remove the disk

From Western Digital is a know problem for microsoft but still no fix ?
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1547&p_created=1185552801&p_sid=_nPXhVpj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTc4LDE3OCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9c2FmZWx5IHJlbW92ZQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Any news for microsoft team ?

n`Ahu
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 10:55 PM
  •  

First let me say that I think Microsoft has totally lost control over there thousands of programs !
    If you have a look at the "program files" directory in your machine you will understand what I mean.
    There is absolutely no structure in the \microsoft..... and the \windows.... trees (which speaks for itself).
    You can find the same chaos in "start menu - programs.....", in the registry and, and, and.....

The problem that all of you describe here, already persists since the first day of publishing Windows Vista.
    It seems like nothing has happened in the meantime.
    I feel very uncomfortable with this situation because it affects all types of Mass-Storage-Devices.
    (e.g. external Harddisks, USB-Flash-Drives as well as other Card-Readers)

Many people think that after a "safely remove device" the power of the USB-Port is turned off - but it's NOT !
    (NEVER, except you turn off the power of your machine)
    Instead a "power down" command is sent to the USB-Device which results in an a "like-power-off" state of the USB-Interface.
    I guess this power down command is missing ????

I hope Microsoft will fix this problem before the RollOut of Vista !?

BTW: Has anyone made some testing on this issue with Windows 7 Beta ?

In Germany we say: "Hope dies at last." Anyway..... Greetings from here....

madmetz

Saturday, March 14, 2009 7:55 PM