AppV 5.0 SP3 turns on other windows features? Help needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, firstly hopefully I'm posting this query in the correct forum as my query crosses a couple of technologies.

Very briefly, I am having an issue in my VDI environment Xendesktop on VMWare, which uses a layering technology Unidesk to deliver applications.

I am trying to build a 'layer' for the Appv 5.0 SP3 client so a VDI desktop will be able to launch our core business apps which are all delivered via AppV.  For layer creation we open an install machine, install our app - in this case the AppV prereqs and the SP3 client itself, and finalize the layer which is basically a vmdk file of all the changes the installation process made to the base install machine.

The issue I am having is that after installing AppV 5, some of the tablet features - Pen&Touch/Flicks are enabled and show up in the tray items - these features are all OFF in the install machine and we want to keep them off in our VDI desktop estate.

So I am wondering if anyone knows if AppV is explicitly turning these on and is there any way to modify the installer using switches to stop it from doing so.  In my troubleshooting I am (almost) certain the issue does stem from the AppV client install itself as when I try creating the layer and just install the prereqs (PS 3.0 and .Net 4.5.2 in my case) the Pen&Touch/Flicks settings are not affected but as soon as I add the AppV client install in the layer then the issue appears.

Any advice much appreciated!!...

Monday, October 26, 2015 11:00 AM

All replies

• How are you installing the App-V setup? EXE or MSI? Are you installing the setup with default value to turn on Windows features?

If you have selected to Turn on option in  "Turn Windows features on or off" in any of the setup, then this would be the reason why the Pen&Touch/Flicks have been enabled. I am guessing some of the pre-reqs would have enabled this and not App-V.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Monday, October 26, 2015 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

I'm running appv_client_setup.exe (which was what our AppV team provided me with and said to use).  When I run the installer exe the only prompts I get are to confirm I've read/accept the licence agreement and the option to join CEIP which we choose Not to do so at this time - the installation very quickly finishes with no other configuration/selection of options esp around turning windows features off or on?

As a quick sanity check I again removed just the AppV client component - and left the PreReqs installed on the installation machine.  When the layer is just composed of the prereqs then there is no issues with Pen&Touch/Flicks, so it is definitely only when the AppV 5 client is installed that it becomes apparent.

The strange thing is that when building the layer on the base image, after the AppV client is installed all the Pen and touch/Flick features 'appear' to be disabled/not configured - which is what we want.  It is only when the VDI desktop is launched with that layer that the settings are turned on/enabled.

Is there another method to install which gives additional options for configuring features (or more like disabling features in my case)

Cheers...

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:40 PM