none
How to exclude always the same folder RRS feed

• Question

• We protect all the users home directories stored on a file server of about 3000 users(DPM2010). Every user has the folder RECYCLER in his home drive which I don't want to backup. So I need a rule like "exclude folder RECYCLER regardless of the location within this Protection group". Since users come and leave I dont't want to exclude the folder every time a new user was created. I had a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809067.aspx but didn't succeeded. Does anyone handled a similiar issue?

Thanks in advance Rudi

• Moved by MarcReynolds Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:02 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Rudi,

I believe what you are asking for is not possible in DPM when protecting data at the server level. I know this feature is available when doing client protection. Client protection allows you to exclude files.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com
    • Marked as answer by Rudi.Demarini Friday, July 29, 2011 7:51 AM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Rudi,

I believe what you are asking for is not possible in DPM when protecting data at the server level. I know this feature is available when doing client protection. Client protection allows you to exclude files.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com
    • Marked as answer by Rudi.Demarini Friday, July 29, 2011 7:51 AM
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:19 AM
  • Hi Rudi,

I faced a similar problem and i searched for an answer but i didnt find one.

The only way was to execlude that folder for each users. In my case the sync was failing because of some temp folders and i was forced to execlude that temp folder from each and every users.

If the Sync/backup is failing then you can edit the registery key ContinueOnFailure and that will solve your problem. (In my case i kept it because i wanted to know why the backup was stopping to solve the problem).

Hope that helps.

Laith.

• Proposed as answer by Laith_IT Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:24 AM
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi Rudi,

Maybe you could try "Pre-Backup Scripts" to run a delete command on theses recycles bin contents ?

Take a look at this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808870.aspx

Stéphane

Edit: the script could be like this (Be careful I'm not Powershell Guru ;) ) Get-ChildItem c:\"YourPath" -include recycleBin -recurse | remove-item -whatif

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:22 PM