USB Problem-something different? RRS feed

• Question

• Running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and just bought a new scanner that works fine with USB when nothing else is attached to a USB port. I also have a thumb drive that also works fine with USB. I also have an external hard drive that works fine but when I plug it in the other USB ports stop working and windows "cannot comunicate with the devices". The BIOS has been upgraded to the latest, the chip set has likewise been updated and all the Microsoft updates applied. I have deleted all the root hubs and let windows re-install them. I have "updated" Vista from my original CD and reapplied all the updates (which did nothing but screw up all my default setting for video and audio). I have tried all of the USB ports and it makes no difference. I have removed the devices and done re-installs and still the problem persists. It is clearly not a hardware driver issue since they work fine without the hard drive connected. I'm not expecting a solution here as I've had a ticket open with Microsoft now for about 3 weeks and explained the problem to at least 4 different persons, and there's been no solution. They all work fine with XP and with another machine running Vista 32 bit so I suspect this is a 64 bit Vista problem. USB is supposed to be easy! Bring back the Centronics parallel!

Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please install the rollup for USB core components included in this KB.

941600    Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;941600

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 9:07 AM