none
Exchange connector requires restarting the Exchange server service

Question

• Hi,
    We have configured one smtp connector in our old exchange 2003 server to route mails to new exchange 2007. so that users who's mailbox is in Exchange 2003 can route to the users who's mailbox in exchange 2007. Do I need to restart any service on the exchange 2003 server to make this connector active?
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Whether the Exchange 2003 mailbox user can send the email to the Exchange 2007 mailbox user rather than migrated users? If there is no problem, I suspect the issue is caused by the legacyExchangeDN attribute.

To confirm this issue, please try to send the email to the migrated user by using OWA or Online Mode in Outlook.

Thanks

Allen

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, June 05, 2009 7:16 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:18 AM

All replies

• Yes you need to restart Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service and the SMTP service for changes to take effect.

BTW, if you have installed Exchange 2007 in same Exchange organization in coexistence then it should have mailflow configured automatically between Exchange 2003 and 2007 with a routing group connector between them. You can run ExBPA to check the health of your Exchange environment...

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com RSS

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Amit for the quick reply.

The Problem I am facing is the internal mail flow from Exch2003 to Exch 2007. We are in the phase of migration. We have migrated few mail boxes from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007. External mail flow is now to the HUB/CAS server. Outside mail are flowing fine. Exchange 2007 server is forwarding the mails to Exchange 2003 server for the users are not migrated. (Contacts are already created in exch 2007). If the Exchange 2003 mail box user want to send mail internally to the migrated user which is in Exchange 2007, it bounces back with NDR. Internal Domain of old exchange and new domain are different. Old one is corpuae.com which is as same as external smtp domain and the new internal domain is corpuae.local.

Customer is not allowing us to restart the old exchange server service and asking us to get work anound. Reson for this is they had major issue before in old exchange server.

Thanks in Advance.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hi,

Whether the Exchange 2003 mailbox user can send the email to the Exchange 2007 mailbox user rather than migrated users? If there is no problem, I suspect the issue is caused by the legacyExchangeDN attribute.

To confirm this issue, please try to send the email to the migrated user by using OWA or Online Mode in Outlook.

Thanks

Allen

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, June 05, 2009 7:16 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2009 7:18 AM