Cannot access \\wsl$ UNC after installing Ubuntu on WSL RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 10 Build 18362.418 and have a full Ubuntu installed on WSL. Everything works fine in Ubuntu, but I'm unable to access the Linux files from Windows. I understand that as of Build 18342 I should be able to access the Linux filesystem via \\wsl$ but that UNC gives an error (Windows cannot access \\wsl$). \\wsl$\ubuntu does not work either. Is there something more I need to do to be able to access the WSL filesystem from Windows itself?

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 12:56 AM

Answers

• Update: just solved my own problem. I'll leave this posting here since others may have the same question. The solution was to surface to \\wsl$\Ubuntu\home\username . Just entering \\wsl$ or \\wsl$\Ubuntu would give an error. This could be better documented.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 12:59 AM

All replies

• Update: just solved my own problem. I'll leave this posting here since others may have the same question. The solution was to surface to \\wsl$\Ubuntu\home\username . Just entering \\wsl$ or \\wsl$\Ubuntu would give an error. This could be better documented.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 12:59 AM
  • Glad to hear that the issue has been solved by yourself, thank you for sharing.

I also find an interesting article online, you could have a look

Starting in Windows 10 1903, a Deep Dive Into How WSL Allows Windows to Access Linux Files

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/a-deep-dive-into-how-wsl-allows-windows-to-access-linux-files/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:30 AM
  •  I suppose this resolves it, although it seems odd to me that \\wsl$\Ubuntu is a broken link, rather than mapping to the root folder of the WSL filesystem. Is there a policy or other reason why you can't navigate directly to the WSL root folder?
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:59 PM