none
Migrate public DNS (non AD-integrated) to new servers - New names/IP. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are moving our external DNS service to new servers. It's currently running on an old Win Server 2003, hosting about 300+ non AD-integrated zones. We've set up two new 2016 servers, which will be master/slave. The servers will have new names and IP. How can I migrate these zones to the new servers and at the same time change the necessary SOA records (Primary server and Name Server list) the easiest way possible?

Thomas

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

Since these are not AD integrated zones it should be fairly simple to move them. Copy the zone file to the system32\dns directory on the new server. Create a new file-backed primary zone on the 2012 server using DNS Manager and when it asks you for the zone file choose "use this existing file".

Furthermore, please set zoon transfer within the master DNS server to the slave DNS server.  And please backup the old DNS server’s files %windir%\system32\dns\backup prior to the migration.

Here are links refer to how to migrate DNS server,

Migrate a DNS Server

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755303(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_move_win

How to migrate DNS information to Windows Server 2008(also apply to server 2016)

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/the-enterprise-cloud/how-to-migrate-dns-information-to-windows-server-2008/

Besides, there are 300+ zones in the external DNS. The workload of migration for every zone is really heavy. I try anther method to migrate multiple zones in the following link, but failed.  I hope you can find a easier way and I will follow this thread at the meantime.

How can I manually move DNS Zone Files from one server to another?

https://portal.hostingcontroller.com/kb/a108/how-can-i-manually-move-dns-zone-files-from-one-server-to-another.aspx

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Additional important information, please back up full system prior to original CA changes above mentioned before proceeding just in case of any unexpected disaster.

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going on? Was your issue resolved?

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

Wish you have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:42 AM
  • Hi,

Wish you have a nice weekend!

Best regards,

Michael

Friday, April 20, 2018 1:53 AM