none
DPM install keeps asking for Named Pipes to be enabled RRS feed

• Question

• The problem is, it is.

I have SQL 2008 Express with Advanced Services installed (not R2).

I have enabled Named Pipes in the SQL Network Configuration manager for the SQLEXPRESS instance.

The install keeps telling me to 'enable named pipes'.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevin,

Named pipes are needed if SQL is not on the same machine as DPM.

DPM does not work with SQL Express as remote backend.

SQL installed by DPM is not SQL Express and named pipes are not needed as DPM and SQL are on the same machine.

Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:02 AM

All replies

• Interestingly, I gave up my dream of an organized SQL Express install and started over from the begining.  I let DPM install it's own SQLExpress and the install completed.

But guess what???  In the SQL Network configuration manager, NAMED PIPES IS DISABLED!!!!!!!!!!

This, after a successful and working install.

I believe this warrants a WTF!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

I believe named pipes is disabled in SQL Network Configuration by default, but enabled by default in the SQL Server Native Client Configuration.

Thanks,

Marc

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Named pipes are needed if SQL is not on the same machine as DPM.

DPM does not work with SQL Express as remote backend.

SQL installed by DPM is not SQL Express and named pipes are not needed as DPM and SQL are on the same machine.

Thanks, Nutesh Garg [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Thanks Nutesh.

I figured this out eventually when I installed DPM without installing SQL Express first.

Ultimatly I decided to not use DPM because it cannot backup to disk unless that disk is dedicated to DPM.  It cannot backup to a partition.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:09 PM