none
How to schedule tasks sucessfully RRS feed

• Question

• I'm extremely new to using MS Project. I'm using MS Project 2010.

The way my tasks need to be scheduled are like this... I might have a task that says code anaysis and that task is extimated at 40 hours but it's stretched over 4 weeks. So 7/29 - 8/31.  However, when I enter my days 7/29-8/1 it pushes my hours out to 208 not 40. I assume I have to do something with the resource units but even when I do that it's not working 100%. Is there an easier way to accompilish this rather than have to touch each and every resource on each and every task to make this work?

Another wrinkle would be if I have a task that I assign two people to. The task could be 40 hours to complete and a 4 week duration but just because two people are doing the task the task may not be 20 hours each. I might just be two people working on a 40 hour task and one might end up doing 30 hours and the other 10. So it needs to be flexible.

Again, I am super new to project. I hope someone can help me.

Also, does anyone know of a good resource site i could use for helping myself?

Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:01 PM

All replies

• hshayhorn,

Welcome to the forum. If you have not installed the latest service pack for Project 2010 (SP2), install it now. You can get it at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

There are lots of websites for Project information, but I don't know of any specific site that covers everything. If you are looking for on-line training, you might give MSProject experts at try at: http://www.msprojectexperts.com. Generally your best bet for specific questions is this forum. That's why we are here.

With regard to your current issue, just set the task type as "fixed duration". When you assign your resources, Project will linearly spread the hours in the Work field over the full duration. So in your example you would enter 20d (i.e. 4 work weeks) in the Duration field. Then enter 40 hours in the Work field. When you assign your resource, Project will spread 2h per day across the full 4 weeks. If you want a different spread of work, go to the Resource Usage view and manually tweak the timescale data (right side of view) to your liking. That is called work contouring. You could also add the Work Contour field to the Resource Usage view and apply one of Project's built-in work contours.

You can either add the Type field to the Gantt Chart view if you only need to used fixed duration for certain tasks, or if you want to do it for all tasks, go to File/Options/Schedule group and set the default task type to Fixed Duration. You need to do this before you enter any tasks however since it only applies to new tasks (i.e. it won't affect existing tasks).

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, August 10, 2013 10:08 PM