Calculated Field in Sharepoint List - Can a date be inserted in another field changed? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to have a field in a Sharepoint list be the date another field changed.  I can see the date in the version history of the list item, but I want it to appear in a field in the list so we can sort on it for aging of issues.

Thanks,

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:50 AM Title still unclear but changed to impersonal "Can a date be inserted" from personal
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:50 AM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:25 PM

All replies

• HI,

A column "Modified" is created by default and whenever any updation is carried out it is also getting updated on that time.

So you can use this.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Hi,

Achieving this could be difficult in calculate column. But you can use a workflow to hit the mark.

You need to create a column(e.g. copy) first, then create a workflow and make it start when item is changed. We need two steps here:

Step 1: Filling the new field(copy) with the value of the field you mentioned as "another field". This can be achieved with the action of update list item.

Step 2: Compare new field with "another field". If not equal, make the “modify date” to today.

Hope this helps.

Friday, July 29, 2011 12:09 PM