Sharepoint Notifications for subfolders of a library RRS feed

• Question

• We have consultants that submit trip reports now via email after each trip and I want them to start submitting to a library on Sharepoint 2007.   I set up the basic scenario as follows.

Library called TRIPREPORTS with a workflow on the TRIPREPORTS that says If the file type is .doc email a notification.  This works when the document is added to the root of TRIPREPORTS but we want the consultant to use folders named by customer # and name then put the doc inside.  

We tried simple notifications but we get one when the folder is created.. so everyone always gets two notifications.  One for the folder creation and one for the file.  So that's no good.  I thought I would play with workflows to see if I could do anything else but cant seem to find out how.

So does a workflow only apply to root?  Or am I missing something?

• Edited by TMILLERNL Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:33 PM Added Sharepoint Version
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:33 PM

Answers

• I'd suggest dropping the use of folders in favour of a flat file structure.  Use metadata columns and create views that return the same views as your original folders.  You'll then have a lot more flexibility and freedom when building your workflows.  Using this approach, they'll be no folder generation step to trigger an alert.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Marked as answer by TMILLERNL Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:43 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 11:51 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'd suggest dropping the use of folders in favour of a flat file structure.  Use metadata columns and create views that return the same views as your original folders.  You'll then have a lot more flexibility and freedom when building your workflows.  Using this approach, they'll be no folder generation step to trigger an alert.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Marked as answer by TMILLERNL Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:43 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 11:51 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, I will start reading documentation to figure out what that means :)
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:43 PM