Copy to USB Flash Drive INCREDIBLY SLOW... RRS feed

• Question

• So I have WIN7 64-bit Home, and when I attempt to copy files to a USB flash drive, I encounter a bizarre problem.  I am greeted with "Discovering items" and "Calculating" messages, and it proceeds to take 15 minutes to transfer a 2MB file, for example.  This happens without fail.

However, I know the USB port is functional, because all other devices work perfectly in that port, and I know the flash drive is fine, because it works flawlessly with my XP computer.  The odd man out seems to be WIN7.

Any ideas/solutions?

Friday, September 17, 2010 3:56 AM

Answers

• Connect the flash drive on the Windows 7 computer and reformat it using disk manager. For Win and Apple compatibility use Fat32, for Win only NTFS.

Start, right-click computer, select manage, select disk management, select the flash drive, right-click for options.

Delete any partitions, create a new simple volume, format. uncheck assign a drive letter, unless you intend to use it as a boot device. If you are, assign a letter at the end, Z,X,Y or such.

Then test.

If that doesn't help, then the flash drive's interface is causing the issue. How old is it?

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:22 AM
    Friday, September 17, 2010 11:31 AM
  • To verify if the problem is caused by Windows 7, please plug in another USB drive and see how it works. Meanwhile, plug the USB device to other USB port for a test.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:30 AM

All replies

• Connect the flash drive on the Windows 7 computer and reformat it using disk manager. For Win and Apple compatibility use Fat32, for Win only NTFS.

Start, right-click computer, select manage, select disk management, select the flash drive, right-click for options.

Delete any partitions, create a new simple volume, format. uncheck assign a drive letter, unless you intend to use it as a boot device. If you are, assign a letter at the end, Z,X,Y or such.

Then test.

If that doesn't help, then the flash drive's interface is causing the issue. How old is it?

Friday, September 17, 2010 11:31 AM
  • To verify if the problem is caused by Windows 7, please plug in another USB drive and see how it works. Meanwhile, plug the USB device to other USB port for a test.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, September 20, 2010 5:30 AM