SteadyState and CyberPatrol 7.6 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to set up a filtered PC using CyberPatrol 7.6 and SteadyState.

I want CyberPatrol to update early every morning so I have done the following steps:

Bios power on at 7:50am daily

Scheduled updates via SteadyState at 8am daily

Added CPListupdate.exe to the custum updates (when run this program forces cyberpatrol to update its white list, black list etc).

While the PCs automatically turn on and the SteadyState locks the computer to perform updates, unfortunately CyberPatrol isn't updating.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Shaunb,

Please understand that the “Custom Updates” option only accept scripts written in .exe, .vbs, .cmd, and .bat file formats. In addition, the script file should meet the following requirements:

1. Custom scripts must be written so that they return only after actions in the custom script have been completed. For example, if a script launches another process and returns immediately, the Schedule Software Updates feature will not detect the operation of the custom script process and may assume that the script has completed. This can result in partially updated files or failure of your custom script.

2. If a custom script update on a Windows SteadyState computer requires any resources during a scheduled update, such as a valid network connection, the resource must be available at the time of the update.

3. If the script shows any blocking UI (for example, a dialog that requires user interaction), then the updates will fail.

I suspect CPListupdate.exe is not a script file or user interaction is needed when running it. Please double click it to check if it can update CyberPatrol without your further interaction. If user interaction is needed (such as clicking OK button or selecting an update server), SteadyState will not accept this file as an update script. In that case, you will need to write your own custom update script. You can refer to CyberPatrol’s manual to do this. You can also contact CyberPatrol for direct assistance:

http://www.cyberpatrol.com/Default.aspx?id=44&mnuid=4

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:22 AM