none
VMMap no longer shows managed heap on Windows 10 Version 1903 RRS feed

• Question

• When attached to a .NET or .NET Core process, VMMap no longer shows the managed heap:

Missing Managed Heap in VM Map

I know that in May 2019 it was still working (with .NET 4.7.2 and the .NET Core 3 Preview 5 processes):

Working managed heap in VMMap in May 2019

In the meantime, Windows 10 was updated to 1903 and .NET 4.8 as well as the RTM of .NET Core 3. What can I do so that VMMap analyzes the managed heap correctly?

I tested it with .NET 4.8, .NET Core 3 and .NET Core 2.2 on three different computers.

Update: I tried it on an older Windows Server 2016 virtual machine and there, VM map works flawlessly. I strongly suspect that this is caused by the Windows 1903 update.

VMMap Managed Heap Working on Win Server 2016

• Edited by Kenny Pflug Monday, November 4, 2019 1:43 PM updated title with info about Win10 1903
    Monday, November 4, 2019 8:41 AM

All replies

• Uhm.. there must be something else..

I'm running 1903 with the insider weekly build and just 10 minutes ago finished installing 19013.. it works for me.

Can you try a more recent build?

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:07 AM
  • I can't update Windows 10, I'm not part of the insider program. If you mean VMMap - I'm already using the latest version 3.26 from June 2018. Couldn't find a newer one.

Would you happen to know if VMMap produces log files? I couldn't find any next to the .exe or in the event viewer.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 11:49 AM
  • No log file to my knowledge..

To get the insider build simply register to the program and enroll your pc:

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/how-to-pc/

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:13 PM
  • While this might be a solution for my personal computer, I cannot do this at work (admins won't allow it).
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:37 PM
  • Understand..

More than the OS it may be some .Net updates that are missing from your PC or that have broken the functionality.

I would start with your office clean image and then start updating the .Net framework with each singleupdate until it broke and until it restart working.. If it doesn't restart at least you know what the latest know good version you can use until it will be fixed again.

I know it's a long process but there is nothing else to do..

HTH
    -mario

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:41 PM
  • Thanks for the report.

This is a known issue and I have flagged it for consideration at the next backlog review in a couple of weeks time. Will revert once we have a solution

MarkC(MSFT)

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:18 PM