Hardware issues RRS feed

• Question

• This is not a Microsoft issue, but I am hoping I can still get some ideas from here.

In the last 1 month, we have had 3 HDDs on 3 different Dell servers fail in one server room. They are all different models and 2 are quite old, however one is less than 2 years old.

Prior to this, we did not have a single HDD failure for around 2 years.

The tempature is at a steady level around 20C and we have had no problems with the AC.

All servers are connected to a very powerful APC UPS that trims all power spikes (if there was any).

The flooring is carpet and it quite dirty so not ideal, however I wouldnt expect HDDs to fail due to dust, other components perhaps, but not HDDs.

Would it just be a fluke that 3 HDDs broke is a short time spand or is there something we should look at?

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:23 PM

Answers

• Unless those server are directy on the ground, wich I really doubt, it's only murphy's law IMO.

Only thing that come to my mind, those HDD was really not identical ? Like not bougth at the same time to be installed in 3 different servers ? Sometime if a HDD fail, it's brother with almost the same serial number can fail. I see that symptom from time to time. Second point, does your UPS is a true-online UPS ? I am pretty sure yes if it's a big's one.

If not identical and the UPS is ok, then it's only murphy's law, or the one that clean the room/building use to punch them with a magnet/hammer.. (j/k)

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

• Edited by Yagmoth555MVP Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Trana010 Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:09 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:09 AM

All replies

• Unless those server are directy on the ground, wich I really doubt, it's only murphy's law IMO.

Only thing that come to my mind, those HDD was really not identical ? Like not bougth at the same time to be installed in 3 different servers ? Sometime if a HDD fail, it's brother with almost the same serial number can fail. I see that symptom from time to time. Second point, does your UPS is a true-online UPS ? I am pretty sure yes if it's a big's one.

If not identical and the UPS is ok, then it's only murphy's law, or the one that clean the room/building use to punch them with a magnet/hammer.. (j/k)

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

• Edited by Yagmoth555MVP Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Trana010 Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:09 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:09 AM
  • Nah, the oldest was from 2006 and the newest 2010, on the actual hard drive manufacturing date, they were all SAS, but not even the same size or RPM.

But you have reassured what I already suspected, its just a fluke that it happened this way.

Thanks

Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:11 AM