none
Improve initial consistency check file transfer speed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a 14.4 TB 2008 R1 file server volume I just put into a protection group on my DPM 2010 server (3.0.7706.0). This DPM server does nothing but protect this one file server and both the file server and the DPM server are connected via dual bonded gigabit NICs and have dual quad Xeons (Dell 2950s) with 16 GB of RAM, so hardware specs are not the problem. The maximum transfer speed I can get on the initial population of data onto the DPM server is around 23 MBs. At this speed it will take about 7.6 days to move the data. I have already been running DPM storage pools of this size for about 3 years so I am familiar with the drill and in all the times I have made this migration of data its always completed flawlessly in the 7-11 days its taken. So the question is how do I improve this rate? Buying a 16TB storage array and moving the data physically is not an option even if DPM supports it.

Thanks for you help, and yes I know the data sets are crazy big and this is no way to run a DPM railroad, trust me after this many years I know. Thanks for any input!

• Edited by Some IT guy Monday, December 27, 2010 2:44 PM
    Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:35 PM

Answers

• Given the source data is what you have to work with "as is" I'm afraid there is currently no way to speed this up.

I'm sure some faster way to copy exists but then still need to run Consistency Check which proceeds at about this end-to-end rate.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, December 27, 2010 12:47 PM

All replies

• Given the source data is what you have to work with "as is" I'm afraid there is currently no way to speed this up.

I'm sure some faster way to copy exists but then still need to run Consistency Check which proceeds at about this end-to-end rate.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, December 27, 2010 12:47 PM
  • Thanks Ruud, that was basically my read on the situation but I figured since this is like the 6th 7 or 8 day transfer I have started while being a DPM admin and would reach out and see if there is any hidden magic I was unaware of. Thanks for your input.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 2:42 PM