Windows Server 2008 R2 hangs on restart? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

Anyone knows how to force Windows server 2008 R2 to restart closing all applications? We have a few servers that hang on restart and require a power cycle to reboot.

I'm looking for a way to force the reboot cleanly, and ideally find out in the logs what is causing the system hang. Would it be Symantec anti virus perhaps?

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:04 PM

Answers

• You can write your own script to shutdown all running applications.  Again, the applications have to have the ability to be shutdown.  If the developer of the application only allows a clean shutdown via the GUI, then you would need to contact the developer to fix their program or find a third-party application that emulates GUI inputs.

Or you can test to see if it is an application.  You can manually shut down the applications before trying a restart to see if it is an application that is causing the issue.

tim

• Marked as answer by bongonations Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:06 PM

All replies

• The shutdown command will issue a shutdown to various applications running, but the applications must respond to the command.  If they have not been coded to respond to the command, you have to talk to the application vendor to see what they recommend.  Furthermore, there is a finite amount of time during which the applications can shutdown.  If they do not shutdown in that period of time, the system will abort any running application still running, so you don't get a clean shutdown.  It is not uncommon on a heavily loaded system, or a system with complex applications, that the default shutdown time limit is not enough to perform a clean shutdown on every application running.

As to what is causing the hang, that is difficult to determine with the little information provided.  But it is easy to test to see if it is Symantec.  Disable it and see if that's the cause.

tim

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:39 PM
  • Thanks Tim. Is there a way to force all applications to close and initiate a server restart?

I've tried to disable Symantec but the server hang upon restart still takes place

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 1:54 PM
  • You can write your own script to shutdown all running applications.  Again, the applications have to have the ability to be shutdown.  If the developer of the application only allows a clean shutdown via the GUI, then you would need to contact the developer to fix their program or find a third-party application that emulates GUI inputs.

Or you can test to see if it is an application.  You can manually shut down the applications before trying a restart to see if it is an application that is causing the issue.

tim

• Marked as answer by bongonations Wednesday, March 7, 2018 2:54 PM
  • Does shutdown /r /f helps?

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile