none
Hyper-V and new AMD Ryzen

Question

• The only anwers I've found are almost 10 years old...

Does Hyper-V work with AMD CPUs (Ryzen in particular)?

If not, will it?

As far as I know AMD is also going to make server chips so I guess there is hope for that.

Friday, March 03, 2017 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hyper-V is not Intel only.

AMD has been producing Server chipsets for years and years.

Intel is simply the primary market player these days, but AMD has always worked.

The Hyper-V docs mention hardware requirements - both offer chipset 'virtualization' and data execution prevention and SLAT.  they might call it something slightly differently, but the capabilities are there.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by Michał Kania Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:58 AM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 9:51 PM
  • Hyper-V is supported and works great with the latest AMD Ryzen and Epyc processors. Period. There is only one feature today that doesn't work with AMD processors and that is nested virtualization. It's on our list to address this. (No, can't say when). Jeff Woolsey, PM Windows Server
    Friday, September 08, 2017 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hyper-V is not Intel only.

AMD has been producing Server chipsets for years and years.

Intel is simply the primary market player these days, but AMD has always worked.

The Hyper-V docs mention hardware requirements - both offer chipset 'virtualization' and data execution prevention and SLAT.  they might call it something slightly differently, but the capabilities are there.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

• Marked as answer by Michał Kania Tuesday, March 07, 2017 5:58 AM
    Monday, March 06, 2017 9:51 PM
  • I am running 1800x on w2016 datacenter, and several several vms. 
    Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Wow that's great information. Could you provide more details, like your mother board? You are using 1800x and W2016 datacenter with hyper-v turned on? I just want to get confirmed.

Thank you very much.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:12 AM
  • I have a Ryzen 7 1700x with a mather board msi x370 Gaming pro carbon. Where I load the Visual Studio Emulator for Android over Hyper-V, the PC Power Off without any alert.
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:04 PM
  • you need to look in the BIO'S to see if hyper v is in fact ON
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:24 PM
  •   That is confusing. Please be careful about what you call things. Hyper-V and hardware virtualization (VT-x or AMD-v) are very different things.

You will not find Hyper-V by looking in the BIOS. You will find VT-x if you are using an Intel CPU or AMD-v using AMD CPU.

Bill

Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:28 AM
  • I'm also able to run emulators and other VMs but just to clarify, the BIOS setting to turn on virtualization, in my case is called SVM, so I think it depends on the motherboard manufacturer how they call this option.

The confusion was due to the fact that official AMD site mentioned virtualization for their CPUs on the page dated to 2008 and MSFT documentation didn't mention AMD's features at all.

But everything works as it supposed to.

Saturday, April 15, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Only two features require Intel.

1. Shielded virtual machines
    2. Nested Hyper-V
    • Proposed as answer by LeonM Thursday, November 09, 2017 9:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:26 AM
  • I have a Ryzen 7 1700x with a mather board msi x370 Gaming pro carbon. Where I load the Visual Studio Emulator for Android over Hyper-V, the PC Power Off without any alert.

I have the same problem here, have 1800x on Gigabyte Gamer 5. 
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:12 PM
  • The problem is not virtualization, The android emulator of visual studio uses intel HAXM; which only runs/install if you have a "genuineintel" chip;

something intel always do to manipulate benchmarks and people:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/193480-intel-finally-agrees-to-pay-15-to-pentium-4-owners-over-amd-athlon-benchmarking-shenanigans

however, if you run develop in linux, the android emulator from android studio will work perfectly fine.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:57 PM
  • Running 32bit Windows inside Hyper-V guest on Windows 10 will cause HOST machine freeze. Only hard reset can get you out. This is probably due CPUID reporting support for 16 VME incorrectly. There is no option to override CPUID for guests in Hyper-V. So there is no full support. :(

• Edited by MrJnk Thursday, June 08, 2017 9:32 AM
    Thursday, June 08, 2017 9:31 AM
  • See my comment above - this is probably the same problem with 16bit emulation.
    Thursday, June 08, 2017 9:35 AM
  • Curiously, though, in my case, the Windows x32 guest only started crashing after windows updates; it doesn't appear to crash if I'm using an SP1-only Win x32 guest, so I'm assuming these updates added a capability that the Ryzen chips can't handle for some reason.

I wish I knew which update it was so I could uninstall it.

Edit: turns out this might be solved with the AGESA 1.0.0.6 microcode update.  In my case, the VMs were not crashing previously LIKELY because I hadn't installed drivers (for stuff like my archaic HP printer), nor most of the software I use (which might use VME, which as MrJink mentioned, is the problem).

I have an AGESA 1.0.0.6 BETA BIOS update available for my motherboard, so I'll try it tonight when I'm done with work.

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, it will support AMD Ryzen technology under the guise of SVM (AMD-v), but you need to do the following.

First, remove the Hyper-V feature from the Features to be installed from your Windows. 

Second, go into Bios, and under Advance (Depending on your MB maker), select CPU. In there you should see SVM and NX; the NX should be turned on by default (which you will need). Enable the SVM, SHUT DOWN your system, even when it asks you to save and restart, and before it reboots, turn off your machine. Then, after 10 seconds, power on your machine. 

Go back into Programs and Features | Features to be installed, you should be able to select all Hyper-V options. Turn them all on. 

Now, you are ready to go.

Thursday, September 07, 2017 10:38 PM
  • Hyper-V is supported and works great with the latest AMD Ryzen and Epyc processors. Period. There is only one feature today that doesn't work with AMD processors and that is nested virtualization. It's on our list to address this. (No, can't say when). Jeff Woolsey, PM Windows Server
    Friday, September 08, 2017 2:02 AM
    OK, so I will still wait a little until MS update the code and MB manufactures are more stable on AMD platforms.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:34 AM
  • Hello,

this is not correct! I can't install the role "Hyper-V" (hypervisor) before I enable SVM.

Now, Server 2012/2016 is not ready to work with 16/32bit guest OS, how Win7-32!

Greatings Paperboy

(Sorry for my bad english...)

Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:15 AM
  • "Now, Server 2012/2016 is not ready to work with 16/32bit guest OS, how Win7-32!"

Not sure what you mean here.  32-bit guests work just fine with Hyper-V 2012 through Hyper-V 2016.  I don't recall if 16-bit guest was ever supported on Hyper-V.  All but the oldest operating systems had already migrated to 32-bit or 64-bit by the time Hyper-V was released in 2008.  But Window 7 32-bit is fully supported.

tim

Thursday, November 30, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Hello Brian,

Im interested in running windows 2016 datacenter for containerisation, docker and virtualisation, and theres a lot of chatter about whether it does or doesnt work on the topend Ryzen processors. Is there any MS guideline on recommended settings out there? I remember years ago trying to get XP 64 bit to run on AMD..and just gave up. Could never get it stable. Would rather not repeat this effort...

thanks

Cormac

Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:01 PM
  • XP 64bit had issues as a VM regardless of the processor.

At the time I had a lab with both Intel and AMD and ran it on both.  But yes, there were issues with XP itself in the scenario.

Now, containers is a different conversation.  You only need Hyper-V for Hyper-V Containers, or Linux VMs running Linux Containers.  Not requires for Windows Containers.

Quite honestly, I don't have access to any hard data to confirm nor deny.  And even if there

Looking here: https://community.amd.com/thread/216622

It seems there is / was a bit-ness with the guest VMs that was causing issues.  And that is not tagged as resolved.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, December 01, 2017 12:13 AM
  • At home, I run Server 2016 datacenter on two Hyper-V servers ( Ryzen 7 1700x with 64GB of ECC ram ) clustered with a Synology SAN. It's been solid thus far ( 9 months ) with over a dozen VMs running concurrently.

I have two Linux VMs with Docker ( swarmed ) and Windows 2016 with Docker ( swarmed ). The Windows Dockers had been a bit flakey ( it isn't officially supported from what I recall from previous research, but it may be now ). Which is why I hadn't done too much with the Windows Docker VMs. Plus I had no need yet for Windows based containers.

Once Hyper-V nested virtualization works for AMD and Server 1709 works with a normal release of Docker that support both Linux and Windows containers concurrently I will be rebuilding my docker containers to use Server 1709 and drop my Linux VMs.

The main point being, yes AMD does work with stability on Ryzens and so does Docker. Both of which worked on older AMD CPUs as well as I was using AM3 CPUs in my older Hyper-V cluster.

---

I'm a DevOps at software company doing CI/CD in VSTS and Azure, using Docker containers on Kubernetes.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:17 PM
  • Is there anywhere we can vote on this feature to get AMD support and/or links to somewhere which will be updated with progress?
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 10:20 PM
  • It only needs some days and we all will be in the year 2019. Is there nested virtualization for AMD proccessors? Or is it just another argument to move away from microsoft?
    • Proposed as answer by frameschubser Sunday, August 05, 2018 8:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by frameschubser Sunday, August 05, 2018 8:01 PM
    Sunday, August 05, 2018 8:01 PM
  • Exactly. When will this feature be... featured? Do tell -- appreciate any update.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:47 PM