none
Suggested Improvement for Autoruns

    Question

  • Hello,
     
    Please consider the following potential improvement for Autoruns:
     
    When I use the current version of Autoruns to disable some unwanted "components", it appears to always act like it worked even if it didn't.
     
    For example, I used Autoruns to disable some auto-starting malware.  When I refreshed autoruns, the malware was back.  Because it appeared to disable the auto-loading of the malware (no error message), I assumed there must be some more malware on the system.  However, when I used procmon, I discovered that there was no other malware.  The issue is that when autoruns tried to delete this particular registry key, it got an access denied (seen in procmon).  So, autoruns never really disabled it (even though in the user interface it appears to succeed).
     
    My suggestion for improvement would be that autoruns should check if it's successful in terms of making a deletion.  If it can not delete the item in question, I think it should return an error or some indication that it didn't work.  That way you'll know it's being blocked as opposed to suspecting there may be another process putting it back.
     
    Please let me know if you'd like any clarification on this.
     
    Thanks for even considering,
      --Jim
     
    Friday, August 29, 2008 9:48 AM

All replies

  • Your question is very old.

    But if you are using Windows 10, you may share your feedback through Feedback Hub app.

    Sunday, January 6, 2019 6:41 PM