Win 7 Beta on a Dual boot XP/Vista SP1 machine RRS feed

• Question

• I presently have XP and Vista Ultimate SP1 installed in a dual boot configuation (XP is on a Raid 1 array, and Vista is on a separate HD). I plan on installing Win 7 beta as an upgrade to the Vista HD. Are there any 'gotchas' I should be aware of? Should I boot from the DVD or run it from within Vista? Any comments appreciated.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:23 PM

Answers

• Based on the information provided (Vista on a separate HD) you should have no problems upgrading from the Vista installation -> Windows 7 Beta.  Please ensure that you have backed up all needed information before proceed with that install.

One clarifying comment about whether or not you should "boot from the DVD". 

Booting from media allows you to perform a clean installation only (does not migrate your stuff, leaves it alone).  If you are booted into Windows Vista and would like to install, you have two options: Upgrade (migrates settings, files, applications,etc) and Clean Install (moves Vista aside, leaves your stuff alone).  Both options result in having a fresh installation of Windows 7; one with your stuff migrated, the other without.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy!

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:04 PM

All replies

• I have XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 32-bit sp1, Vista Ultimate 64_bit sp1, and Win 7 beta up and running on my machine.
    I have three hard drives with two partitions each. Each os resides on it's own partition. I used Easy BCDEdit to modify the boot menu.

Everything works great!
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Based on the information provided (Vista on a separate HD) you should have no problems upgrading from the Vista installation -> Windows 7 Beta.  Please ensure that you have backed up all needed information before proceed with that install.

One clarifying comment about whether or not you should "boot from the DVD". 

Booting from media allows you to perform a clean installation only (does not migrate your stuff, leaves it alone).  If you are booted into Windows Vista and would like to install, you have two options: Upgrade (migrates settings, files, applications,etc) and Clean Install (moves Vista aside, leaves your stuff alone).  Both options result in having a fresh installation of Windows 7; one with your stuff migrated, the other without.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy!

Stephen Lodwick [MSFT]

Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. Did the upgrade install last night, and although it took almost 6 hours (at one point it sat on the same 'expanding files' screen for about three hours) there were no glitches and its running fine so far. 
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:18 PM