Lync & Echo Cancellation (AEC) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I have a couple questions about Lync and echo cancellation (AEC).

* Does Lync have built-in AEC as part of the software?

* Assuming the answer to that is no, which I think it is, what webcams will work for one-person video chats without having to also use a headset (i.e. you can use the webcam's built-in mic)?  I have tried this with a MSFT Lifecam Cinema, and the echo was quite bad, even though this is listed as "Optimized for Lync".

* Also assuming the answer is no to the first question, are there plans to integrate the software AEC in Skype into Lync in the near future?

Thanks very much!

• Moved by Noya Lau Friday, May 11, 2012 7:59 AM (From:Conferencing)
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:41 PM

Answers

• Lync Server 2010 uses RTAudio to provide a superior audio quality experience. RTAudio is an adaptive codec that dynamically adjusts itself based on exiting network conditions. This can range from changing the bit rate, to reducing bandwidth consumption on saturated links, to introducing forward error correction and redundancy in lossy networks, to compensating for jitter.

The RTAudio stack is constantly evolving, and in Lync 2010, there is an improved AEC filter bank and Dynamic Non-Linear Processing to further improve audio quality by improving echo cancellation and reducing noise. Here is an article briefly discusses Voice Quality Improvements in Lync Server 2010. Have a check.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by PBarranis Friday, May 11, 2012 3:35 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 7:57 AM

All replies

• I am not familiar with the internals of Lync but I can provide you with the following well-known guidelines for echo removal:

1. Try using headset whenever possible.

2. Reduce the volume of the speakers and try to keep them far away from the microphone. In some cases a high volume disables the ability of AEC to work properly so reducing the volume will enable any existing AEC to kick in.

3. If the above does not help, use professional echo cancellation software like SoliCall Pro that is designed for VoIP/Windows.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Lync Server 2010 uses RTAudio to provide a superior audio quality experience. RTAudio is an adaptive codec that dynamically adjusts itself based on exiting network conditions. This can range from changing the bit rate, to reducing bandwidth consumption on saturated links, to introducing forward error correction and redundancy in lossy networks, to compensating for jitter.

The RTAudio stack is constantly evolving, and in Lync 2010, there is an improved AEC filter bank and Dynamic Non-Linear Processing to further improve audio quality by improving echo cancellation and reducing noise. Here is an article briefly discusses Voice Quality Improvements in Lync Server 2010. Have a check.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by PBarranis Friday, May 11, 2012 3:35 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 7:57 AM