Windows Photo Gallery changes date modified of AVI files to the current date when just viewing them. RRS feed

• General discussion

• When viewing AVI movies with Windows Photo Gallery on Windows Vista, the program changes the date modified of the AVI file to the current system date and time. Strangely the program does not change the time if the date is current. Setting the Read-Only attribute helps protect the date. The file is not modified, only the date is. This behavior was also noticed with MP4 video files BUT not with WMV. The Media Player does not change the time so this is unlikely a codec's fault. This behavior was observed on my 2 computers and I have also seen similar reports on the Internet dating a year ago. I have all Windows updates installed to this date.

This behavior is unacceptable because viewing personal collection of photo and video with Windows Photo Gallery destroys the date the video was taken and you cannot recover the date taken from AVI files like you can with JPEG because it doesn't store this information inside the file.

Is Microsoft aware of this bug?

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:35 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem. No answer yet (more the  1 month?) from Microsoft?

Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:51 AM