Federation to Free Skype is not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. I recently got all of my internal and edge services up and running on a new S4B deployment in my lab. I registered my test SIP domain with Microsoft and was emailed back that they had completed the provisioning. When I go to try to add my S4B account to my Skype free account, it sends the contact request but I never receive anything on my S4B side. The opposite is true as well, if I send to my Skype free from my S4B client, I never receive anything on my Skype free client.

I have enabled federation from the Skype control panel in the External access policy under Federation and External Access, enabled everything under the access Edge configuration tab, and enabled the Skype public provider and Skype for Business Online public partners under SIP federated domains.

I am clearly missing something, but the question is... what? I have spent some time on google but there's just not a ton of documentation that I am finding to help with this. Does anyone have any thoughts?One last thing, I do NOT yet have reverse proxy services enabled for this deployment, not sure if that has anything to do with this or not.

Thanks all!

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi

The reverse proxy isn't required for this type of communication. If you are able to search the Skype directory from your SfB client and see presence statuses then Microsoft have indeed completed the PIC request. 

I have seen this behaviour before but typically on the consumer side. Sometimes the requests come in but if you are signed into Hotmail for instance and using the Skype web app the request will show in there rather than the Skype consumer desktop app.

If you check the Skype web app do you see the pending request?

The other way skype consumer cannot add a skype for business contact, the invitation request must always come from the SfB user in the first instance.

The flakiness is the consumer side rather than something you can change your side unfortunately.

For belts and braces you can double check that ports 443 and 4443 are allowed outbound from the Edge server access IP and run debugging tools to capture the SIP traffic to see if there is anything causing it you have control over. But if you are able to search the directory and see presence then as before you are more than likely set up right.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brolide Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:19 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Hi Brolide,

Agree with Mark.

Please check the port 5061 is opened in outbound and inbound flow for Lync Edge internal and external interface.

If you cannot see the presence status about the federation users, please check if integration between Skype and SFB  is correct.

The following is the integration process :

1.Configure Federation and PIC.

2.Configure at least one policy to support federated user access.

3.Configure the Skype PIC provider setting.

For more information, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn705313.aspx

Moreover, here is a similar case for your reference

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/ba9d9432-6dd1-413b-aa15-49fec5db9a9f/skype-federationcontact-search-from-skype-fails-but-federation-works-otherwise?forum=lyncinterop

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alice Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi

The reverse proxy isn't required for this type of communication. If you are able to search the Skype directory from your SfB client and see presence statuses then Microsoft have indeed completed the PIC request. 

I have seen this behaviour before but typically on the consumer side. Sometimes the requests come in but if you are signed into Hotmail for instance and using the Skype web app the request will show in there rather than the Skype consumer desktop app.

If you check the Skype web app do you see the pending request?

The other way skype consumer cannot add a skype for business contact, the invitation request must always come from the SfB user in the first instance.

The flakiness is the consumer side rather than something you can change your side unfortunately.

For belts and braces you can double check that ports 443 and 4443 are allowed outbound from the Edge server access IP and run debugging tools to capture the SIP traffic to see if there is anything causing it you have control over. But if you are able to search the directory and see presence then as before you are more than likely set up right.

thanks

Note: Please remember to `Mark as Answered` a post that answers your question and/or `Vote as Helpful` posts that have helped you. This will help others find answers to similar problems. For more Skype for Business help visit: http://www.skype4b.uk Please note that answers are based on my experience and opinion only and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Hi Brolide,

Agree with Mark.

Please check the port 5061 is opened in outbound and inbound flow for Lync Edge internal and external interface.

If you cannot see the presence status about the federation users, please check if integration between Skype and SFB  is correct.

The following is the integration process :

1.Configure Federation and PIC.

2.Configure at least one policy to support federated user access.

3.Configure the Skype PIC provider setting.

For more information, please refer to

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn705313.aspx

Moreover, here is a similar case for your reference

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/ba9d9432-6dd1-413b-aa15-49fec5db9a9f/skype-federationcontact-search-from-skype-fails-but-federation-works-otherwise?forum=lyncinterop

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Alice Wang

Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:14 AM
  • Hello

Just FYI I had made some progress and ultimately thought it would be more appropriate to move to the following thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5f1183e4-46fc-4e75-b9d2-6570023cee72/two-problems-with-federation-to-public-free-skype?forum=sfbfr

However, please see below for some more detail if you want to see it here

I have confirmed that 5061 is open between the external and internal interfaces on my edge servers. I can see presence status from my external client and i can even IM my public skype accounts that the requests ended up completing for. But when I try to search the Skype directory, even if i completely spell out a Skype name, i still get an error saying "An error occurred during the search. please try again, and contact your support team if the problem continues". 

The above similar case is unfortunately not quite what I am facing (unfortunately because the solution seemed so simple!) That person could add people in his client where as I am getting stuck at the search. i ran through the provisioning process and was emailed several days ago that it was complete, and also since I can do it from clients on the same network as the skype FE servers, I don't believe it is a provisioning issue. I am ONLY having this problem on clients connected to edge services. Any thoughts?

Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Honestly I feel almost embarassed but I literally left this alone for a couple of hours, came back, and it's working now. i supposed maybe there was a burn in period of some sort or something
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 11:21 PM
  • Hi Brolide,

I am glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, and thanks for your sharing.

Best regards,

Alice Wang

Alice Wang

Friday, July 29, 2016 1:39 AM
  • Hi Mark.

Do I really need both - 443 and 4443 - to be open on the external ACCESS Interface?

All the MS docs just say 443? And 4443 only between EGDE and FE?

Just asking as I'm facing a similar issue.

Thanks  a lot!

Torsten

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:28 PM