How to block Windows 10 Anniversary Update - 1607 via GPO, or defer? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to block the Windows 10 Anniversary update via GPO so users can't install the update? We have several programs that are incompatible with this update and until we get them fixed we need to block our users from updating the software. Does anyone have any suggestions for ensuring this update is delayed? 

We have already set deferring upgrades for 3 months via Computer Config - Policies - Admin Templates - Windows Components - Windows Update, but I wasn't sure if that would be sufficient enough to ensure the blocking of this update until we are ready to push it out. 

I found an article that stated that the LTSB version is the only one able to be blocked. Can anyone confirm if Microsoft is considering this an update and going to be on the update deferral schedule or an upgrade and on the upgrade deferral schedule? 

(article - http://www.computerworld.com/article/3102899/microsoft-windows/microsoft-delivers-windows-10s-1607-upgrade.html) 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:42 PM
  • Hi Dave Hankins,

Try the following gpo:
    Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update Policy
    Setting: Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update
    The corresponding registry key is:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:01 AM
  • Hi, I don't have such option in my GPO tree (in 1607. I already installed it and after having many problems, I'm preventing other clients to install it until MS fixes them):

I read that the defer updates setting does not affect the system upgrade. Is it true?

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:51 AM
  • Hi PolymarSparviero,

"I don't have such option in my GPO tree"
    We could try to deploy the registry key.
    "I read that the defer updates setting does not affect the system upgrade. Is it true?"
    No, defer won`t affect "security updates".
    Defer upgrades in Windows 10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/instantanswers/20a98a29-df85-b9e9-f04e-e7812bc903f6/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 8, 2016 9:08 AM
  • MeipoXU-- Your link directs viewers to an article explaining how to stop the W10 Upgrade from happening on a W7 PC.  THAT WAS NOT WHAT WAS ASKED HERE.  Do you know how to read English? You should receive a paycheck from MSFT...because you are their kind of NON-support professional.

Preston Mitchell

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:14 PM
  • MeipoXu --  Thank you...that was the kind of answer needed here.

Preston Mitchell

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:20 PM
  • Is there a way to block build 1703?
    Friday, August 11, 2017 4:27 AM
  • Most people claim it is impossible to permanently block a future W10 build.

Yes, there is a complicated way of permanently blocking new builds of W10.  I am still using W10 Build 1511 (see image below).  No, I am not playing the 'defer' game...which is only a temporary fix. 

Permanently blocking a 'future' W10 build requires tweaking group policies and then a relatively easy modification of one registry key.  It took me a few days to figure it out...but it saved my desktop and laptop (W7 era PCs) from being retired by W10 Anniversary (which was incompatible with my PC's final video drivers).

I am sorry I can't offer details abouy my fix...because I did in October 2016...and forget what I did. 

The secret is the group policy and one registry key.

Preston Mitchell

Friday, August 11, 2017 7:25 AM
  • I am in this inevitable loop. I am on build 1607. I don't mind the new build but the font was all messed up, but it was a lot slower and buggy. So I switched back and MS wanted to know why. One of the choices was too slow. So I switch back and it starts downloading the 1703 update after taking a ton of time to update. It's a big file. 3gb or so I think.
    Saturday, August 12, 2017 4:15 AM
  • There are ways to block updates from 1607 to 1703 and those methods can be found by search on this and others websites for cases in which people want to update and cannot update.  Unfortunately though there is no box to check or un-check.

The method that use to work was to use a metered connection.  That still may work but it is unknow whether it is a reliable method today compared to earlier dates.

Another method is windows 10 1703 needs to have a certain amount of free space within the reserved partition.  If there is inadequate free space it is impossible for it to update.

There are relatively easy ways to fill the EFI or reserved partition.  In the solution to fix the failed upgrades the method is to remove the software that everyone though would be installed on the C: drive but surprisingly is installed on the EFI partition.

These items are:  languages, and fonts.  HP computers have UEFI diagnostics that check the hardware:  CPU, GPU, Motherboard, Drives, keyboard, mouse, etc.  This again by surprise is by default installed on the EFI partition.

So I currently have a second HP computer that cannot be upgraded from 1607 to 1703.  The first one was fixed to enable upgrading by removing language and fonts.  The second computer at some time in the future I may try removing the HP UEFI diagnostics.  All of the removed items would then be installed after the upgrade.

So it is very easy to fill the EFI partition with languages, fonts, HP UEFI diagnostics etc. and this happens unknowingly.  The unfortunate side effect or perhaps a desirable side effect is that upgrade to 1703 needs approximately 15 MB of free space in the partition.  If there is only 14 or 9 MB of free space the upgrade must fail.  This is confirmed by viewing the panther logs on computers with insufficient free space in the EFI partition.

It was clear to me that you are looking for an easier solution on many computers.  The information was posted so that others that are interested in delaying the upgrade are aware that they can look at threads where people are looking for fixes of upgrade failures.  And once they know the reasons for failure can decide whether it is worth the effort.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:05 AM
  • I shortened my EFI volume and still have 46mb free. I downloaded all fonts and still have that much free. Any other ideas on how to fill the EFI up. The original total was 350.
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:11 AM
  • While you can block windows updates it is trading one problem for another problem.

Windows still attempts updates.

Unfortunately there is no on/off switch.

So when you least expect it Windows may reboot and close opened applications in which data that has not yet been saved can be lost.

Languages and Fonts are installed in the EFI partition:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14236/language-packs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-language-packs-to-windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/314960/how-to-install-or-remove-a-font-in-windows

BIOS updates are installed in the EFI partition.

HP UEFI hardware diagnostics are installed in the EFI partition.

To view what is currently within the EFI partition download and install Minitool partition wizard.  Then expand the EFI partition to view the contents.  If you expand each folder you can view the size of each file within the folder.

Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:44 AM
  • My buddy found this article for me. I managed to get it to where it will show me that the update is ready to download. That is good enough for me. It won't auto download. Great stuff. Check it out.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/
    Monday, November 27, 2017 1:23 AM
  • There needs to be a real solution for this, Windows Update is the source of almost all of my issues with my work computers.  My home PC (9 year old graphics power horse) running a completely un-patched Windows 7 has 8 months of uptime and no issues.  These computers (brand new) have something break every week, on top of all of the things that don't work right.
    Monday, April 23, 2018 5:21 PM