report shows different number of columns for two identical matrixes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two matrixes in a report with a parent group by year and child group by period. Each period has 6 columns.

There is a page break after first matrix and fixed row and columns labels for both.

If are selected 2 periods, when the report is printed or previewed it shows 9 columns (6 columns P1 an 3 columns P2) on the first page and three (three columns P2) on the second page for the first matrix, and 6 columns (P1) one page and 6 columns (P2) the second page for the second matrix.

There is not a page break between instances of period group. The width is the same for each column for both tables.

I don't understand why this occurs and what else to check.

I appreciate any idea, thank you!

Geo

Geozah

Monday, July 23, 2012 3:09 PM

All replies

• 1. Try page break before.

2. Try create 2 rectangle and put them in it. Set Page break on Rectangle.

I used #2 method to create about 20 slides of PPT style so user can print into letter size.

Easy to hide section(report) as well.

SoyLover

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:23 PM

• Hi SoyLover,

Thank you for your answer, but I don't think I can apply it to my case

I have between 1 and 6 columns by period, displayed dynamically. This situation happens when I have 2 periods and max columns (6 columns) by period.

I can't use an expression for PageBreak. I have a page break after Matrix1

Here below I tried to reproduce the situation: (I need Matrix 1 displayed as Matrix 2 and I don't understand why is different, I can't see any difference between them)

Matrix1                          Year 2012

Period 4                                           Period 5

Col1     Col2   Col3  Col4  Col5  Col6     Col1   Col2   Col3

Group1      -         -         -        -       -       -           -        -        - 

Group2      -         -         -        -       -       -           -        -        -

Group3      -         -         -        -       -       -           -        -        -

Page 1                                                                                

Matrix1             Year 2012                                                                                                                         

Period 5                                                                                                                                       

Col4    Col5    Col6                                                                                                                                     

Group1       -         -        -                                                                                                                                           

Group2     -         -        -                                                                                                                                           

Group3   -         -        -                                                                                                                   

Page 2                                                                                                                                

Matrix2                   Year 2012                                                            

Period 4                                                               

Col1    Col2  Col3   Col4   Col5   Col6                                                             

Group1      -          -        -        -         -        -                                                                   

Group2    -          -        -        -         -        -                                                                   

Group3 -          -        -        -         -        -                   

Page 3                                                                                

Matrix2                      Year 2012                                                         

Period 5                                                

Col1      Col2  Col3   Col4   Col5  Col6                                                             

Group1      -            -        -        -        -        -                                                                   

Group2    -            -        -        -        -        -                                                                   

Group3  -            -        -        -        -        -                                           

Page 4                                                                                

Geozah

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi Geozah,

According to your description, the first matrix doesn’t work well in the report. I tried to reproduce this issue in my report, but the report rendered well on my test environment. In your case, I suggest you try to add a column page break on the “Period” group. Please refer to the following steps:
    1. Select the Matrix .
    2. Right-click the “Periods” in the Columns Group pane, and then select “Group properties”.
    3. In the “Page Breaks” page, check “Between each instance of a group” option.

For more information, please refer to below link:
    How to: Add a Page Break (Reporting Services):http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156434(v=sql.100).aspx
    If this doesn’t solve your problem, could you please post both the report and the dataset with sample data to us by the following E-mail address. Then, I will try to reproduce the scenario and assist you to resolve the problem.
    E-mail: sqltnsp AT microsoft.com (Please replace the AT with @, and remove additional spaces).

Regards,
    Ian Wang

Ian Wang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:59 AM
  • Hello Ian Wang,

I can't insert a page break for the "Period" group because there could be only 1 or 2 columns for each period and I can have them on a single page, and I can't use an expression to add a conditional page break.

I can't understand why this is different because I can't see any difference between the 2 matrixes. I'll try to redo the first matrix.

Thank you!

Geo

Geozah

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:15 PM